A&H

Open Age Small Keeper, Massive Striker

OldNavyRef

Level 5 Referee
So I had a weird one.

Keeper maybe 5ft 6ish, attacking striker in the 6ft 5ish category. The striker was also in really good shape and had a ferocious leap on him. Typical Grassroots mismatch as the keeper was not an athlete.

Now the keeper was jumping for the ball. Arms stretched up in the air, while the striker was competing with him. In the end, the tips of the keepers gloves were about equal to the strikers head. But in typical fashion the keeper would go to ground every time and lie on the ground lifelessly for a few seconds after every jump up.

The expectation felt to me, I should be penalising the striker for sort of blocking the keepers catch. The keeper was obviously 100% gambling on this, as he was committing to the ground after every battle.

Just a difficult one.

The Referee Store
Did you end up taking action at any point, or did you have any issue with either player in the end?

One of my first games was between two U16 girls teams and the difference in physicality of the two teams was pretty stark, but it was quite fair all around. I suppose it's a learning curve as to what makes for a legitimate foul versus a physically weaker player banking on a foul to bail them out of a matchup they cannot win.

Did you end up taking action at any point, or did you have any issue with either player in the end?

One of my first games was between two U16 girls teams and the difference in physicality of the two teams was pretty stark, but it was quite fair all around. I suppose it's a learning curve as to what makes for a legitimate foul versus a physically weaker player banking on a foul to bail them out of a matchup they cannot win.
It was a men's senior cup, with two of the lowest scoring on behaviour teams. I had endless issues hahaa.

I penalised the striker each time as it felt like the right thing to do, and I got no complaints from either side.

If I didn't penalise the keeper, then I imagine it would be pandemonium each time both the striker go for the ball.

Back