A&H

Spintso PDA

DB

Referee, Observer, Mentor, Player
Level 5 Referee
Spintso PDA...

Anyone used one? Thoughts?

The Referee Store
There's no peice of equipment that will improve your performance as a referee.

I'm particularly interested in this device for the recording capability.

ive not used one but out of curiosity ive just had a read through the blurb on their website... the recording function... is that allowed? i know theres an issue regarding go-pros etc but would there be anything controversial pertaining to sound recording?

I'm not too sure Richard. Personally, I'd ensure the teams are aware that I have a recording function on it before each game, primarily I think it would act as a deterrent. I dont think it's any different to having a smartwatch app, the one I use also records voice, but the app itself has too many issues so I don't use it.

ive not used one but out of curiosity ive just had a read through the blurb on their website... the recording function... is that allowed? i know theres an issue regarding go-pros etc but would there be anything controversial pertaining to sound recording?
This link: Sound and the law posts some of the legal issues to consider in this context. What I infer from it is that sound recording is allowed in a public place, which I surmise a football field is. Other than that, I'd recommend telling in advance that you're wearing a recording device; apart from acting as a deterrent, it ensures you've made full disclosure. If no one objects, all the better for it.

Definitely make the teams (inc. the managers) aware that you are wearing the device. The way that you word what you say could be helpful. Say something like 'I am wearing this device and I wanted to make you aware that it has a sound recording function on it. I want to use it in order to help me develop my use of voice in different situations and how I communicate with people in order to develop my overall game. Is this ok with you?' If someone says no then you have to respect that but I would check first what the laws are and if necessary, check it with the Police. It may take time but it could save you!

The reason that it has interested me is because I sent quite a few lads off last season for their gob, particularly when aimed at me. I had cards hit out of my hand, someone continuously call me a c***, I was told to suck someone's.... Yeah, you get the rest. red issued but had it have gone to appeal, it would have been thrown out straight away (their appeal that is).

Last game of the season was a bad one for me. Team fighting for promotion. Must win game. They were 3-1 down at half time. Another few goals went in and they completely lost their heads. I had the captains in, made a "broadcast" to all the players regarding their mouths and discipline... Ended up yellow carding 6 and sending 3 off.

Obviously it was my fault. I was appalled at the teams behaviour, and then had the managers absolutely screaming at me at the end. I obviously reported everything, they tried to deny it... But even before my reports went in, the FA were aware as someone in the crowd had contacted them basically saying I done everything in my power to control the game and that the team in question were awful and behaved extremely poorly, this witness also verified that I'd been harassed. Again, had that of been recorded, not only is it more evidence than a few words on a sheet of paper, it also gives me a chance when writing the report to get the narration absolutely correct.

Sometimes in refereeing, your best isn't enough. Sounds like you did ok though. I can understand why you want to record what is going on but it is definitely worth checking with all the various people (teams, managers, County FA, Police etc...) before doing it.

Reactions: DB
Obviously it was my fault. I was appalled at the teams behaviour, and then had the managers absolutely screaming at me at the end. I obviously reported everything, they tried to deny it... But even before my reports went in, the FA were aware as someone in the crowd had contacted them basically saying I done everything in my power to control the game and that the team in question were awful and behaved extremely poorly, this witness also verified that I'd been harassed. Again, had that of been recorded, not only is it more evidence than a few words on a sheet of paper, it also gives me a chance when writing the report to get the narration absolutely correct.
That final point you make is a major consideration. I've heard, here in the Netherlands, of referee reports being overturned by disciplinary committees for failing to state the exact content of what was said. A recording (device) could come in very handy.

I have used my smartwatch before to make a voice note for help when writing a report. But the app wasn't fantastic at all so it didn't really help.

I'll have to look into it, I want to get a spintso watch, but if I can get (and legally use) one of these, that would be good. I also like the fact it gives you a match report after the game. It would make admin rather easy. Thank you for your replies :)

Over priced rubbish.

Just write down what was said.....it's really easy......you should already have a piece of paper and a writing implement of some description........

This is why I use a simple piece of heavy weight paper cut to fit my match wallet.....easy to record all I need on there.....always have 2 in the wallet......take as long as I need to record any relevant information.....

What is the fascination with trying to reinvent the wheel.....?

It wouldn't be admissible evidence at a disciplinary hearing in England, so pretty pointless from that point of view.

Remember at any hearing you are there as the witness, not the prosecution. Sometimes the accused lie their way to getting off the charge, but the referee shouldn't be concerned by that. As long as you have done your job properly, and the send off / misconduct report is watertight, you can sleep well regardless of the outcome.

@RustyRef: As I'm not familiar with the rules of evidence at disciplinary hearings in the UK, I've no option but to concede on that point. However, DB does not want to use the recording in evidence but in fact for the very purpose you state: ensuring his report is watertight by gettting the narrative correct. If he decides to purchase the device, I for one would love to learn of his user experience.

I have a feeling that this would be prohibited under the updated Law 5 where the compulsory and other equipment of the referee are listed.

This seems to be the case especially in the light of the following answer in the FAQ:
Q6: Why has the referee’s equipment been listed?
This is to make it clear what equipment a referee must use and what equipment the
national FA may allow the referee to use. It is also important to make it clear that any
electronic equipment not mentioned in Law 5 can NOT be used e.g. cameras and
microphones (except the referee team’s communication system).

@ASM, it's something I'll have to check, they've been used by FIFA referees etc. I've Gotta do a bit of homework :)

Would you use one, being a level three? Could you see the advantages of it, particularly if your assistants had one aswell? (They connect and pair up)

Back