A&H

Starting out

ConnorGK

Im 16 and I'd like to know what id need to become a ref. I know I need to take a course but was wondering what else I'd need to do.

The Referee Store
Im 16 and I'd like to know what id need to become a ref. I know I need to take a course but was wondering what else I'd need to do.
I’d start reading through the laws, read it again, so some online referee quizzes, read it again, then keep doing quizzes until you get none wrong.

Go and watch some matches of the age group you’ll be refereeing initially, and watch the ref, what he does, what he says. Pay attention to his movement. Watch a few games to see how different referees handle it. All this is COVID permitting obviously.

There’s some official FA fitness guides out there for officials. Do some of the exercises/circuits and see where you are fitness-wise. If you’re already got then it never hurts to get fitter 👍🏻.

Sounds a bit silly but learning how to talk to players regarding decisions would be useful. Why not write some scenarios on flash cards, e.g ‘blue 4 commits a reckless challenge on red 6’. Then use a friend or family member to be blue 4 whilst you pull them to the side and go through the process.

Go and watch some matches of the age group you’ll be refereeing initially, and watch the ref, what he does, what he says. Pay attention to his movement. Watch a few games to see how different referees handle it. All this is COVID permitting obviously.

That is a little bit risky, as you could end up watching what I would call journeymen referees who are in it for the money and do as many games as possible but rarely get out of the centre circle in any of them.

That is a little bit risky, as you could end up watching what I would call journeymen referees who are in it for the money and do as many games as possible but rarely get out of the centre circle in any of them.

Yeah you’ll get them, but if he goes to see 5 plus games, it won’t take long to figure out what is required compared to what isn’t.

Ask the assignor. Tell him you're interested in seeing an experienced referee doing that level of game and ask for a recommendation.
This. The assigner needs to know you are there to learn and that is your primary purpose. The same if you are asking to do AR to learn once/if you are qualified.

It might be worth looking at the Essex FA website and looking at some of the different leagues. You might be able to find some good games to watch.

Back