A&H

Strange one

Thanks for the responses.

To be honest the description of the player being a bit of a bully was correct. Hes a big chap for his age. He was definitely throwing his weight around and genuinely didn't know he was manhandling his team mate. The lads had a laugh about it after and I joked that I was going to give a penalty to his team mate, but realised it was a foul from him.

The Referee Store
I'm wondering where you're getting this understanding from. Neither fouls nor misconduct are defined in the Laws of the Game so there's nothing there to tell us what those terms mean. Up to 2016, there was a section that said:

This was removed in 2016, partly to allow for the provision that fouls could could now take place outside the field of play but even if we remove that bit, that would not preclude an offence against a team mate being considered a foul. Also, the section on page 109 of the 18/19 Laws, although it has a heading about fouls and misconduct, goes on to talk about 'offences' against a team mate being punished by a direct free kick. So if a push on a team mate is neither a foul, nor misconduct (and if it's not covered by this section then it isn't an offence) what is it? There's no other term in the Laws that I can think of, that would be applicable.

My understanding of the law is that a push on a team mate, depending on its exact nature, would be considered (potentially) as an offence and if so, the provisions of page 109 would apply. Now, I do think that for a push on a team mate to be penalised, it would have to be of a fairly egregious nature but as far as I'm concerned, once the referee has decided that it is an offence against a team mate that deserves to be punished, the restart should be a direct free kick.
@JamesL quoted the part of law 12. It's the lack of clear definitions that made me use the words "my understanding", similar to your use of the same words. However you are refering the nature of the push on a team mate and it's severity to determine if it is an offence (assuming foul). A view which is not supported in law. Severity of a push (careless, reckless, EF) only applies to fouls against an opponent.

A push against a team mate can be a misconduct (well, my definition of a missconduct) if a referee determines it to be USB. And that is supported in law. But the law now contradicts itself by one part requiring a IFK restart and another a DFK.

The bit on page 109 was included without thinking through it's consequences and the ambiguity it can cause just like many others changes. Remember the debate about dissent being a DFK offense because offendes against match officials are now DFK.

However you are refering the nature of the push on a team mate and it's severity to determine if it is an offence (assuming foul). A view which is not supported in law. Severity of a push (careless, reckless, EF) only applies to fouls against an opponent.
Nowhere have I suggested that the CRUEF criteria apply here. However whenever any kind of potential offence occurs, the referee has to make a judgement as to whether it's worth penalising or not. What I am saying is that for a push on a team mate while manoeuvring to get onto the end of an incoming corner, would have to be something fairly extreme for me, before I would call it.

Back