A&H

Open Age Stupid things players say #9625

Jack M

Level 6 Referee
Had a good one earlier.

Friendly between 2 local rivals and I give a DFK to the stripes after the Yellow defender caught his ankle causing the player to stumble and lose possession.

The defender turns around and tells me that the LOTG states "A player has to go down in order to get a free kick" and he didn't go down and thus isn't allowed to get a FK!

Anyone else heard any pearlers recently?

The Referee Store
After wiping out a player after getting the ball the plaintive cry of But I got the ball ref as I pull out the yellow or you can't book me ref its the last game of the season.

Yesterday I did a game which had 2 Supply League teams taking part who are obviously used to NARs of which I had none.

Free kick given on touchline 30 yards out, and I'm on my own so off I go to back Post to watch for offsides. They decide to play the free kick short, and by this point the defender is only 5-7 yards back and still retreating but his touch is that bad it goes straight to him.

Most of the team get what's happened except lad who took it. It's nearly half time so I wait till then....

'You played it quickly, it's not Rugby, it's your fault'
'But he was within 10 yards. He's offside'
'You're thinking of Rugby'
'He was offside'
'Rugby'
'You don't know rules'

Yesterday I did a game which had 2 Supply League teams taking part who are obviously used to NARs of which I had none.

Free kick given on touchline 30 yards out, and I'm on my own so off I go to back Post to watch for offsides. They decide to play the free kick short, and by this point the defender is only 5-7 yards back and still retreating but his touch is that bad it goes straight to him.

Most of the team get what's happened except lad who took it. It's nearly half time so I wait till then....

'You played it quickly, it's not Rugby, it's your fault'
'But he was within 10 yards. He's offside'
'You're thinking of Rugby'
'He was offside'
'Rugby'
'You don't know rules'
'Laws'

2 months ago i was assistant in a beautiful game :)) and in first half the center ref show penalty but 2-3 players went to ref and said " omg ref wasnt penalty , WAS ON THE LINE OF PENALTY AREA, how u can said its penalty "

I was officiating a veterans game during the summer when I awarded a blatant penalty to which one of the players ran up to me screaming obscenities and then shouldered me. As I reached for my red card he then told me that I couldn't send him off as it was only a friendly!

The Laws of the Game are the codified rules that help define association football. They are the only rules of association football subscribed to by the sport's governing body FIFA. ... During a match, it is the task of the referee to interpret and enforce the Laws of the Game.

snzyw.jpg

When someone says "rules" and you are obliged to correct them

I used to love the sub having a pop then waiting behind the sideline whilst i walked over only for him to say, 'You can't do anything to me I'm not on the pitch'!!! REALLY!!! :cry::cry::cry:

3 fans whinging behind me all game. After the game, to my face, fan #1: "you are the most sh** referee in the whole world!"

...I had just prevented a mass confrontation at full time, including calling over stewards to make sure the teams were separated at the benches, and I'd had two advantages leading to goals in the game. In the spirit of the game, I also allowed the chasing side to temporarily use a non-tournament ball rather than waste time as the spares were temporarily lost. Obviously fan #1's was the losing semi-final team, 2-6.

For me, two days, 10 matches, 20 teams, one team hates the ref. Not bad numbers I guess.

As an assistant last week, goalkeeper takes a goal kick and rolls it all of 5 yards to a defender stood in the box. My flag goes up, obviously. Cue the 100 or so fans in the stand behind, with shouts like, "F**k off liner, its only a friendly. Let them get on with it you bald pr**k". Deeply offended i was, i didn't reallise i was bald until he pointed that out, i just thought i had quite a large parting!!!

I did a adult friendly yesterday. Hardly a moments bother. Out of the blue, I gave an offside, as it happens, I was in perfect position, up with play, everything. Nobody batted an eye. Bar one player, who came away with "****ing hell that's ****ing ****e, come on man".
Given its isolated nature, for right or wrong, I chose to pull the player in for (what was the only) a warning. He totally refused, I walked to meet him halfway, and said "look, settle down, am right up with play, its offside end of. If you speak to me like that again I will have to red card you or get you subbed. To which he came back with "**** it, just red card me now then".

Safe to say his own manager laid into him rather than me.....

In terms of funniest thing I've heard from a speccy....

Half time at one of my games I got told I was the best referee they'd had all season. It was July 4th....

Back