A&H

Sugest me a good whistle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have more money than sense so I bought a Molten Valkeen partly because I was curious to see how a whistle could possibly be worth that much.

If I lost it, I would buy another one.

I am also curious as to how it can be worth that much, enlighten me?

The Referee Store
I am also curious as to how it can be worth that much, enlighten me?
Its not. If you are after value for money then its not the whistle for you but its the best whistle there is. If money is not an object then its the one to have.

Its not. If you are after value for money then its not the whistle for you but its the best whistle there is. If money is not an object then its the one to have.

Let me rephrase, why is it so good?

There are four things I want from a whitle:
1. Ability to produce loud sounds as well as lower levels of loudness
2. Ability to produce long bursts as well as short ones.
3. Ability to produce varying tones
4. Ease of control on all three above.

Valkeen has all four and the best balance. Something like Sonic blast can give you very loud sounds but you need a big lung to get long and loud at the same time. Less loud is harder to produce and hard to control the tone. ACME T2000 is pretty good but hasn't got the balance between all four right. FOX40 classic can't go as loud as Valkeen. In general I haven't seen anything other referee whistles can do that Valkeen can't. All my opinion of course.

fox 40s take a bit of time to learn how to blow them, there are plenty of clips on youtube, once you learn how to use it you will never go back to a pea whistle

Yep that’s what I’ve got the old pea whistle, the sound you got in the playground at school.

I purchased two fox40’s prior to my first game, I took it out of packet and blew I hardly got a sound, apparantly you have to give them a short sharp blow but I haven’t really got on with them, I use the whistle they gave me on my course a £1.99 cheap thing with an old school sound to it but I wouldn’t swap it for the world, hardly have to blow and it gives off a decent sound.

It probably won’t last forever but will do me for the time being.
This is a common problem for new refs. You dont blow a whistle like w histle with a pea. The best way to describe it is to spit without the saliva. There is also a method using the tongue but I cant get along with that.

There arr videos on youtube etc that will show you how to do it. Well worth using imo.

I use a fox Sonik blast. The best whistle i have ever had and the most usable for me in terms.of the various blasts and tones I am able to produce with it.

Tempted by a valkeen but id want a go of one first before parting with the money.

There are four things I want from a whitle:
1. Ability to produce loud sounds as well as lower levels of loudness
2. Ability to produce long bursts as well as short ones.
3. Ability to produce varying tones
4. Ease of control on all three above.

Valkeen has all four and the best balance. Something like Sonic blast can give you very loud sounds but you need a big lung to get long and loud at the same time. Less loud is harder to produce and hard to control the tone. ACME T2000 is pretty good but hasn't got the balance between all four right. FOX40 classic can't go as loud as Valkeen. In general I haven't seen anything other referee whistles can do that Valkeen can't. All my opinion of course.
I hear lots of people give these observations on the blast but I dont get it myself

I really am not just saying it either. A recurring theme in my early observations was whistle. Tone loudness. Etc.. i moved to a blast and hey presto development area removed and I think i might of even had a complement on the use of the whistle. Really goes to show how different we all are.

Let me rephrase, why is it so good?

It's very loud with not much effort. It's tone is very easy to distinguish from other whistles. It's easy to vary the volume. The finger holder is really superb, very clever design. I don't bother with a lanyard any more.

But mostly it's the volume and tone. It's the whistle you want to be holding when there's a mass confrontation.

Kick off usually get the ducking of a head and a " fu*k me ref, thats loud" .......

If Im feeling genereous I might warn the closest player first.

The two tones created by the chambers are a harsh contrat to each other, and are designed such that if people are shouting at each other that the tones will be outside the range of peoples voice, so you aer always heard - not always listened to but heard. And a few short sharps people probs want you to stop blowing as it hurts their ears.

So as I said, it;s different to the run of the mill set that refs buy, so no chance of getting caught with the same as the guy on the pitch next to you .....

just stlightly embarassing when you blow that hard and loud that about three games around you also stop to see what the problem is :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back