A&H

Super Trophy Istanbul between a red team and a blue team

Tealeaf

Lighting the darkest hour
Staff member
Say the thread title quickly and you’ll see what I tried to do 😁

6 minutes in and Mane has an overhead kick blocked by Azpilicueta or Christensen (can’t tell whom)

No obvious VAR review but looks a penalty to me, hands away from body, blocking the ball.

Doubtless there’ll be other points to make, unless my attempt at humour is the highlight of the night!

The Referee Store
Agree with the early penalty shout - last season in the PL there's no chance of that being given, but it looked to me like a textbook example of what the new laws say should be penalised.

Great 2nd goal... but how come no AR flag but the ref signalled offside... and then the VAR in the ear... ? Or did I miss something?

Great 2nd goal... but how come no AR flag but the ref signalled offside... and then the VAR in the ear... ? Or did I miss something?

I haven't seen, but here's the protocol: If the AR sees a close OS where there is a goal scoring opportunity, the AR is supposed to delay the flag. The AR also announces that to the R (I know in MLS, it is saying "delay, delay, delay"--I'm not sure if that is universal language). So the R knows the AR has OS before the flag goes up and may be faster on the draw than the AR--but that decision is coming from the AR. And the VAR will always check that flag so that if the AR is wrong the goal will stand. Sounds like protocol was perfect.

Why the YC for Aspy... dissent?
Maybe - there's a hint of SPA about the situation he might have found himself in as well, plus the slightly cynical nature of the "I'm just going to give the attacker a big shove" might have made it feel more yellow than if it was a trip?

I’m fine with no penalty, seems to hit his chest but if it hits an arm it’s the one tucked into his body. Even this year I think you can justify not giving it

Maybe - there's a hint of SPA about the situation he might have found himself in as well, plus the slightly cynical nature of the "I'm just going to give the attacker a big shove" might have made it feel more yellow than if it was a trip?

Hmm... I don't think SPA can be justified with no control of the ball. We have guidance on "blatant holding" as a YC offence... I wonder if "blatant shoving" is also discussed in the UEFA halls?

Back