A&H

Surgeon to be, ambitious referee

yagh

Hello everyone,

I hope you're all doing great. Let me introduce myself to you all. I am a 24 year old doctor, who will be training very soon to become a surgeon. It is my ultimate dream to become a top class football referee. I've never had a course in refereeing before, but I am planning to do so very soon. The Q is, my job + my dream of becoming a referee, how realistic is it? Do you guys think I can balance the two? Will my age be an obstacle? Will I be able to reach the top?

Sorry for the detailed questions, but I am hoping I can get an informative feedback.

Thanks!

The Referee Store
Good luck and best of luck!

The biggest problem with your current job and refereeing is (and correct me if I'm wrong as I'm not a doctor, just friends who are) changes in your availability.

Refereeing at Level 4 and above (and to a similar extent 7-5) needs you to be aware of when you can and can't referee at least 6 weeks in advance and once you have been given a game it does not go down well if you then can't referee it.

Certainly not saying it would be impossible, but your current job requires a huge amount of time, refereeing can regularly take 7 hours in an evening (5pm to midnight) or Saturday afternoon (midday to 7pm) and that's just at my level!

Good luck and best of luck!

The biggest problem with your current job and refereeing is (and correct me if I'm wrong as I'm not a doctor, just friends who are) changes in your availability.

Refereeing at Level 4 and above (and to a similar extent 7-5) needs you to be aware of when you can and can't referee at least 6 weeks in advance and once you have been given a game it does not go down well if you then can't referee it.

Certainly not saying it would be impossible, but your current job requires a huge amount of time, refereeing can regularly take 7 hours in an evening (5pm to midnight) or Saturday afternoon (midday to 7pm) and that's just at my level!

Thank you for your reply! You're 100% correct, my current job is really unpredictable, I actually did not know that I have to give a notice of my availability 6 weeks in advance (which is pretty much a good thing for me a it gives me more time to coordinate my schedule).

I hope it works out that I can balance both careers, I am aware that some of the top class referees in Europe do refereeing as a side job to their main career, but I also know that some gave up their initial job to dedicate their time to refereeing! Lets see how it goes.

Mind sharing with me your career in refereeing so far?

-Thanks

No problem!

Took the course in Newcastle when I was a student December 2009 and went straight into adult football. Promoted to level 4 by the start of the 14/15 season and that's the level I'm at now. Officiated professional reserve and academy teams and in the FA cup, trophy and vase and been appointed to numerous cup finals and it's still really good fun but obviously challenging. Plenty of ups and downs and on a few occasions I've been tempted to pack it in but I'm still at it!

If you have any other specific questions let me know!

I've seen one or too on her referee, they had me in stitches!!! You need to give it you're best shot in the games and don't go cutting any corneas on promotion games!!

Being honest, it would be difficult to get to the very top level. Your job is going to make it difficult for the reasons es1 has already said, but also you are a relatively late starter. Whilst 24 is no age at all, you'll effectively be playing catch up to referees who by that age have already had 4 or 5 promotions and are already knocking on the door of the Conference Premier. It isn't impossible, but it would certainly be very different.

Here's an interesting question though. Let's say you get to level 1 and do well in Leagues 2 and 1, and manage to juggle refereeing with your professional role. You get an offer of promotion to SG2, which would mean you go full time and need to give up your job. Would you give up being a surgeon to become a "full time" football referee?

The NHS says that consultants "can earn a basic salary of between £75,249 and £101,451 per year, dependent on years of seniority in the consultant grade".(24 Jul 2015)

Match officials for semi-professional games can earn around £80 a game plus expenses. Full-time Premier League officials can earn up to £70,000 a year, while all other league referees are paid around £300 to £500 a match.(8 Dec 2016)

I think you need your head examining!! Its a no-brainer!!! :confused:

Being honest, it would be difficult to get to the very top level. Your job is going to make it difficult for the reasons es1 has already said, but also you are a relatively late starter. Whilst 24 is no age at all, you'll effectively be playing catch up to referees who by that age have already had 4 or 5 promotions and are already knocking on the door of the Conference Premier. It isn't impossible, but it would certainly be very different.

Here's an interesting question though. Let's say you get to level 1 and do well in Leagues 2 and 1, and manage to juggle refereeing with your professional role. You get an offer of promotion to SG2, which would mean you go full time and need to give up your job. Would you give up being a surgeon to become a "full time" football referee?

Hey, thanks for your reply. I hear your opinion, which is a very legitimate concern. Like you said my role as a surgeon is already so very demanding on a mental and physical aspect. And my age is playing against me here.
As for your question, it’s a tough one to answer right now, I rather keep the answer for when I reach that position

The NHS says that consultants "can earn a basic salary of between £75,249 and £101,451 per year, dependent on years of seniority in the consultant grade".(24 Jul 2015)

Match officials for semi-professional games can earn around £80 a game plus expenses. Full-time Premier League officials can earn up to £70,000 a year, while all other league referees are paid around £300 to £500 a match.(8 Dec 2016)

I think you need your head examining!! Its a no-brainer!!! :confused:

Hahah hey there, I’m not in this for the money at all. It’s a passion for me and something I enjoy doing on my free time. For all I could care I would do it for free!

Hahah hey there, I’m not in this for the money at all. It’s a passion for me and something I enjoy doing on my free time. For all I could care I would do it for free!
Thats the trouble though, up until reaching the Select Group it will be an expensive hobby for you!! Once you've reached the SG you will be a full time ref, thats a potential massive pay cut!!! Welcome to my world!!! :yawn:

Then keep doing it for free (or £20/£30 beer money each game).

Its good for you physically, its good for your mental health, its good for your community ...

You can still derive a great deal of satisfaction from doing it (refereeing) well at whatever level you do, and there is a clear structure for progression, should you wish to follow that route.

Do both in tandem for a few years, then decide whether you still want to reach the very top

I have every confidence you - but I suggest you do a few games first - and then a few more after that - and then a few more after that - and then you can think about the bright lights :)

This thread reminds me a bit of a guitar clinic I went to (with the amazing colossus that is Guthrie Govan)... one of my fellow students stood up and said: "when I am successful, what's the best way for me to deal with all the sponsors?"

Thank you so very much for your kind replies. I’m going to give it a try and see what happens, if it works out then happy days, if it doesn’t then I guess it’s not meant to be. Any advice would be highly appreciated

Can we have a price on stitching Padfoots typing fingers up? A few on here would like to contribute. :smoke:

Back