A&H

Talk about a kit clash

The Referee Store
It's just the quality and angle of the photo which has made this look worse than what it is. Asking the white team to change kit is just like asking a team in green (grass green) kit to change their kit on kit. It doesn't make good TV viewing but from the ground it won't be as bad.

It's just the quality and angle of the photo which has made this look worse than what it is. Asking the white team to change kit is just like asking a team in green (grass green) kit to change their kit on kit. It doesn't make good TV viewing but from the ground it won't be as bad.
If I'm holding a flag there, I'm using that as an excuse for any wrong offside calls, no question about it!;):p

Last time I had a clash it was because one of the club secretaries had been ill and a message hadn't got through. Captains and officials agreed it wasn't that bad and we'd manage OK and we did. At half-time the manager of the team winning 1-0 came storming across to complain about the clash and how awful it was. To reinforce his argument he announced, "I've put it on Twitter".

Mentioned this before but we're all bored.........

Women's National League (Level 3) midweek game. FA had sent the referee from a good way away, I was an AR. As the match approached home team (mainly white shirt, blue trim) had become aware that the away team were also wearing white, despite receiving email from the home club, as per, in good time advising of home team's colours. When challenged, the away team, who had not put on match tops yet, claimed that their strip was in fact red and white. Referee obviously asked to see said strip and we then saw that the red consisted of two of the thinnest stripes you will ever see.

Then came a surreal 15 minutes or so where both sets of team officials entered full on stroppy 9 year old mode. Referee was prepared to give it a go, I wasn't so sure, but then changed his mind when one of the 9 year olds, sorry, team officials, said he didn't want any excuses from us about similar strips for any bad decisions! Referee, understandably, lost patience then, and told the teams to sort it out, otherwise he would abandon and report to comp. Away team refused to wear the home team's spare kit (yellow), home team refused to wear it as well - told you they were in 9 year old mode.

We came in from our warm up to find said spare kit, on the floor of our changing room! Referee remained remarkably calm and went to inform both teams that if they weren't both ready to kick off at the appointed time he would abandon. We came out 5 minutes before ko to find the home team in home kit, lined up and the away team.......nowhere to be seen. Back to the changing rooms marched the referee to ask the away side what was going on. They had the temerity to say they didn't know where the spare kit was - having been informed it was in our changing room, they reluctantly and very slowly got changed and we eventually kicked off 20 minutes late. It was also the most 'frosty' coin toss I have ever witnessed.

One of this referee's rare women's games apparently, for some reason he said he wasn't keen on doing too many more!

I watched some of the PSV-Sparta Rotterdam match on-demand last night. Plenty of snow on the pitch. The ball was white.

Doesn’t the Eredivisie have the option to use a ball with a different color like the Premier League’s yellow winter ball?

I was on the line for a contrib game years ago, was at AFC Hornchurch but can't remember the away team. Home team was listed on the team sheet as red & white stripes, away as blue and white stripes, so all seemed good. The three of us left our changing room with the teams already lined up and we all did a double take. May have been red and blue on the front, but the backs and sleeves of both kits were plain white, quite how the teams hadn't spotted the problem was beyond us.

Neither team had a change available so we had to make do. The referee had to make decisions based on the colour of the number on the shirt if he couldn't see the front. Offsides were nigh on impossible as you just saw a sea of white more often than not, essentially we had to identify players by their shorts or socks. It really shouldn't have been played.

Mentioned this before but we're all bored.........

Women's National League (Level 3) midweek game. FA had sent the referee from a good way away, I was an AR. As the match approached home team (mainly white shirt, blue trim) had become aware that the away team were also wearing white, despite receiving email from the home club, as per, in good time advising of home team's colours. When challenged, the away team, who had not put on match tops yet, claimed that their strip was in fact red and white. Referee obviously asked to see said strip and we then saw that the red consisted of two of the thinnest stripes you will ever see.

Then came a surreal 15 minutes or so where both sets of team officials entered full on stroppy 9 year old mode. Referee was prepared to give it a go, I wasn't so sure, but then changed his mind when one of the 9 year olds, sorry, team officials, said he didn't want any excuses from us about similar strips for any bad decisions! Referee, understandably, lost patience then, and told the teams to sort it out, otherwise he would abandon and report to comp. Away team refused to wear the home team's spare kit (yellow), home team refused to wear it as well - told you they were in 9 year old mode.

We came in from our warm up to find said spare kit, on the floor of our changing room! Referee remained remarkably calm and went to inform both teams that if they weren't both ready to kick off at the appointed time he would abandon. We came out 5 minutes before ko to find the home team in home kit, lined up and the away team.......nowhere to be seen. Back to the changing rooms marched the referee to ask the away side what was going on. They had the temerity to say they didn't know where the spare kit was - having been informed it was in our changing room, they reluctantly and very slowly got changed and we eventually kicked off 20 minutes late. It was also the most 'frosty' coin toss I have ever witnessed.

One of this referee's rare women's games apparently, for some reason he said he wasn't keen on doing too many more!
Weirdly, my only major kit clash issue was also in one of the few women's games I've done and also resulted in both (male) managers turning into stroppy toddlers. In this case, apparently when the home team had played their opponents away earlier in the season, the opponent had failed to inform them of the kit clash and made them drive home to pick up their spare kit, resulting in a "delaying kick off" fine - so there was not a chance the home team was putting on a second kit. And the away team claimed they hadn't been told about a clash...despite the above piece of history!

Eventual solution in this case was for the away team to play in their grey unnumbered warm-up tops. But that still left both teams wearing blue socks, so with about 15 minutes to kick off, the away team captain was dispatched to a nearby sports direct to buy white socks. Of course, ingeniously, she only picked up 10 pairs for the 10 outfield starters - meaning that every sub was conducted with a lengthy pause while the players swapped socks!

Weirdly, my only major kit clash issue was also in one of the few women's games I've done and also resulted in both (male) managers turning into stroppy toddlers. In this case, apparently when the home team had played their opponents away earlier in the season, the opponent had failed to inform them of the kit clash and made them drive home to pick up their spare kit, resulting in a "delaying kick off" fine - so there was not a chance the home team was putting on a second kit. And the away team claimed they hadn't been told about a clash...despite the above piece of history!

Eventual solution in this case was for the away team to play in their grey unnumbered warm-up tops. But that still left both teams wearing blue socks, so with about 15 minutes to kick off, the away team captain was dispatched to a nearby sports direct to buy white socks. Of course, ingeniously, she only picked up 10 pairs for the 10 outfield starters - meaning that every sub was conducted with a lengthy pause while the players swapped socks!

was the sock purchase something you suggested / asked for or did the teams want it? personally i'm not sure i'd be too arsed about a sock clash.

only clashes i've had are between my and teams wearing mostly black or navy blue kits, thankfully few and far between these days.

Talking of kit clashes, there was one for colourblind viewers of the Liverpool Man Utd game https://www.skysports.com/football/...ans-angry-as-they-struggle-to-tell-kits-apart

United were alerted about a clash but only changed their socks to white instead of going to their white 3rd kit - what's the point in having one if it's not used.

Red and green strips should really be treated as a colour clash by FAs, clubs, and referees, as statistically at least one participant in each game (and thousands/millions in the stands/at home) will have problems with 1 in 12 men and 1 in 200 women being colourblind.

Though it depends on the shade of the red and the green, of course.

One of the refs I commonly work with is colorblind. More than once we've got initial weird looks when we told a team they needed to wear pinnies to distinguish. (In the youth league I work with, most teams only have one set of uniforms, so pinnies are issued to coaches and not an uncommon solution.)

Talking of kit clashes, there was one for colourblind viewers of the Liverpool Man Utd game https://www.skysports.com/football/...ans-angry-as-they-struggle-to-tell-kits-apart

United were alerted about a clash but only changed their socks to white instead of going to their white 3rd kit - what's the point in having one if it's not used.

Red and green strips should really be treated as a colour clash by FAs, clubs, and referees, as statistically at least one participant in each game (and thousands/millions in the stands/at home) will have problems with 1 in 12 men and 1 in 200 women being colourblind.

Here in the US, we have green and red as two of our five approved colors. Not only do I do my best to have a team change if the teams are red and green, I also make sure I'm not wearing red if a team is in green and vice versa. I did have a situation many years ago where I knew that a player on one high school team was color-blind and his team wore green. The home team tried to change from white to orange, which I figured would be a color-blindness issue for the kid. At the time in high school, the home team was required to wear "light" uniforms and the visitors dark. I made the home team change back to white because I was highly suspicious the team was trying to work through some gamesmanship.

A couple of years later, high school rules changed to require the home team to wear white shirts and socks. A couple of years ago, this changed where the visitors now wear white shirts/socks while the home team can wear anything that isn't similar to white (like silver or light gray).

I did a cup final a few years back. Got to the game and the teams were in clashing colours. Neither team, nor the league officials who organise the finer details had noticed, even though it was printed in the program.

Neither team had a spare kit, so we had to dig out the away kit of the hosting supply League club to use, but only after the league chairman had confirmed in writing to the club using it that the league would pick up the costs of washing the kit and to the cub giving the kit that it would be washed and back in the club by the Friday morning as they needed to use it the following weekend.

was the sock purchase something you suggested / asked for or did the teams want it? personally i'm not sure i'd be too arsed about a sock clash.

only clashes i've had are between my and teams wearing mostly black or navy blue kits, thankfully few and far between these days.
I was insistent on them finding a solution of some sort - I've done a game with a sock clash before and you'd be surprised how annoyed teams start to get when you end up basically guessing who fouled who a good proportion of the time!

I actually probably wouldn't have insisted on them changing socks for a sub given we were limited to 3, but I had neutral AR's and he insisted before I got involved, so I wasn't going to undermine him after all the pre-match arguments.

I was insistent on them finding a solution of some sort - I've done a game with a sock clash before and you'd be surprised how annoyed teams start to get when you end up basically guessing who fouled who a good proportion of the time!

I actually probably wouldn't have insisted on them changing socks given we were limited to 3 subs, but I had neutral AR's and he insisted before I got involved, so I wasn't going to undermine him after all the pre-match arguments.

Fair enough, can't argue with that!

If socks and shorts clash I will let it go, assuming it can't be fixed. But I will be making it clear to the managers, coaches and captains of both teams that any complaints about fouls, throw ins, corners / goal kicks, etc, will fall on deaf ears as my decisions will be to all intents and purposes complete guess work.

Back