A&H

Open Age That's just a sin bin right ref?

Jack M

Level 6 Referee
Men's cup game last Saturday. Blues v greens.

Mid way through the second half. Blue 16 (who had been playing about 10 mins by this point after being subbed on) thinks he's fouled in the build up to an equalizer. Shock horror that him and a couple of team mates assume they will get a FK. After explaining to him why he wasn't fouled, he calls me a c-bomb. Just before producing the card, I call the captain over to make him aware (this has worked well for me in the past) and the player says "it's only a sin bin, he can't send me off for it".

Players makes me die sometimes 🙄

The Referee Store
Had a chat with a player a couple of weeks ago that insisted I couldn't sin-bin him when he booted the ball away as an act of dissent after giving a FK against him because he didn't say anything rude. It didn't delay the restart of play as it just hammered into an advertising hoarding and back onto the FOP, it was an act of open dissent.

"So, you're saying I cannot sin bin you for this?"
- "Yes ref, I only kicked the ball away"
"Not dissent then? You sure?"
- "Yes ref!"

Already on a yellow so he got a second one, then a red.

Giving the players what they want since 1996. :cool:

I do love it when the players argue themselves into more trouble or prove you right.

In my last game this month I had a very tight offside call that ended up being a goal and the first thing they screamed at me was "he was on the halfway line!!!" and I thought, well, he was onside then... :wall:

Also earlier in the season, had a player try very hard to persuade me that I was wrong and it shouldn't be a penalty for a DOSGO-yellow that happened on the line. He was adamant it was outside the box and I was struggling to hint subtly to him that if he really wanted to persuade me on this, he would really not like the next action I would have to take...

Seems to be a well spread myth for some reason.

Had a manager come into the ref's change room to convince the junior referee who did the game before mine, that he had made a mistake by sending his player off for swearing at the referee. According to the manager sin-bin was brought in to reduce the punishment players get for swearing.

Had a chat with a player a couple of weeks ago that insisted I couldn't sin-bin him when he booted the ball away as an act of dissent after giving a FK against him because he didn't say anything rude. It didn't delay the restart of play as it just hammered into an advertising hoarding and back onto the FOP, it was an act of open dissent.

"So, you're saying I cannot sin bin you for this?"
- "Yes ref, I only kicked the ball away"
"Not dissent then? You sure?"
- "Yes ref!"

Already on a yellow so he got a second one, then a red.

Giving the players what they want since 1996. :cool:
Had a player tell me he hadn't said anything so I couldn't do him for dissent when he kicked the ball away, I just shouted 'dissent my word or action'.

His face said it all.

I do love it when the players argue themselves into more trouble or prove you right.

Me too, had to send 2 players off once for swinging punches at each other, one was fine, not a problem, other one was adamant it wasn't him involved (after it had all calmed down, other players running in to separate them, no other offences).

I told him I'd look around for someone with the same build, height, face etc as him and couldn't see anyone so sent him off as I was 100% sure it was him.

End of the game, he's getting the net down, tells me he's been getting grief all second half on the side from his mates as all his punches missed (which they did).

Really makes me laugh.

Men's cup game last Saturday. Blues v greens.

Mid way through the second half. Blue 16 (who had been playing about 10 mins by this point after being subbed on) thinks he's fouled in the build up to an equalizer. Shock horror that him and a couple of team mates assume they will get a FK. After explaining to him why he wasn't fouled, he calls me a c-bomb. Just before producing the card, I call the captain over to make him aware (this has worked well for me in the past) and the player says "it's only a sin bin, he can't send me off for it".

Players makes me die sometimes 🙄

I wouldn't call the captain over for a red card, there really is no need. The point of using the captain is to help you control players, if the player in question is heading for the showers he is beyond help.

I wouldn't call the captain over for a red card, there really is no need. The point of using the captain is to help you control players, if the player in question is heading for the showers he is beyond help.

The only reason that I do this for certain decisions is so that they are aware of what is happening, especially on verbal offences where other players may not understand the decision.

I don't do it all the time but if the captain seems to be a decent one, I extend them this courtesy. I have found it works well tbh.

Sure, but it can help calm the rest of the players down when you give an explanation to the captain why one of their teammates is being sent off.

I gave a yellow within the fist 10 mins for someone pushing a player over stopping a promising attack. When I shown him the yellow he was incensed stating it's my first foul, adding, it's not a foul

I gave a yellow within the fist 10 mins for someone pushing a player over stopping a promising attack. When I shown him the yellow he was incensed stating it's my first foul, adding, it's not a foul

I don't like those "first foul" ones, it's like they seem to think that they have a free pass to do two or more before you clamp down on them.

I don't like those "first foul" ones, it's like they seem to think that they have a free pass to do two or more before you clamp down on them.

They get confused, bless them, about persistent infringement. They have somehow come to believe that PI is a prerequisite for a booking.

They get confused, bless them, about persistent infringement. They have somehow come to believe that PI is a prerequisite for a booking.
It doesn't matter how many fouls they've made, you have to give them a warning before you can card them... :rolleyes:

Back