A&H

The Heat

I need to go on that diet

Twitter has lots of tweets (unsurprisingly) about players taken unwell with Heat Stroke (also unsurprisingly)

Ultimately, it was a few degrees cooler than forecast. I'm a bit undecided as to whether it was wise to play in the hottest areas. Aside from 'frozen pitches', summer poses far more risk to health & safety than the conditions games are postponed for during the winter months

We've not seen rain down here for weeks and weeks. I must say though that the 2 step 6 pitches I've refereed on have been absolutely fine over the past week. Yes it was very warm yesterday but essentially we were doing 15 minute periods of exercise with water breaks in between. I haven't noticed any discernable difference in the players ability to work as hard as normal and thats probably due to the breaks.

It was definitely the right decision to play yesterday. Now obviously pitches and circumstances vary but from what I've seen and spoken to others about we were correct to play as long as the extra water breaks were introduced.

The Referee Store
I was maybe a quarter to half a km down. 2.5m per half ish. Had to work hard in the 2nd half as the weather didn't really slow down the tempo a great deal in my step 5 game.
Everyone ok with 2 drinks breaks and there was even a hint of a breeze on the club house side.

Step 6 middle in 32C heat with zero breeze was hard work yesterday!
About a KM down on usual distance covered and lost 3 stone in sweat but overall everyone coped well.

3 stone? (42 lbs/20kg). 😳

I'm thinking not mate ... 🙄😉

Different issues for any Tues/Weds games this week....yellow warning for thunderstorms. One normal day of football, that's all we ever ask!

Back