A&H

The mentioned rope in law 1

CTO

Level 7 Referee
Does anybody know why the rope is explicitly mentioned in Law 1.10 … besides the obvious safety reasons?

„If it [the crossbar] cannot be repaired the match must be abandoned. A rope or any flexible or dangerous material may not replace the crossbar.“

Cheers
Carola

The Referee Store
History, I think. That has been in the Laws since at least the 70s. I’d imagine it came in as a safety rule after something happened where someone had the genius idea to keep playing with a broken frame by tying a rope to make the crossbar.

it’s been in the laws since I started refereeing. However it used to say that a rope is not a suitable replacement for competitive matches however in friendlies it could be used as a replacement as long as both teams agreed.

The original Cambridge rules mentioned "between the posts and under the string" and gradually over (a very long!) time the crossbar specifications changed to exclude rope or string.
Whilst we in the affluent UK accept this without a second thought, some areas of the world would happily use anything available to them, so the LOTG reflect the minimum for competitive matches worldwide.

Thanks a lot. That is great input for our next social ref meeting. I find the historical developments of the rules quite interesting. Is there maybe a book about it. In Germany we definitely do not have any, but maybe someone knows a good read from the UK?

Cheers
Carola

As mentioned by others, ultimately it has to do with the history of the laws. As @ChasObserverRefDeveloper states, some of the early laws, before the Football Association was formed, called for the use of a string.

However, when the first set of FA laws were promulgated in 1863, they said the following:

"the goals shall be defined by two upright posts, 8 yards apart, without a tape or bar across them. ... A goal shall be won when the ball passes between the goal posts or over the space between the goal posts (at whatever height)."

Three years later though, in1866 this was changed to:

"the goals shall be upright posts, eight yards apart, with a tape across them, eight feet from the ground." [...] "A goal shall be won when the ball passes between the goal posts under the tape ..."

A couple more changes got us to more or less where we are now. In 1875, "or bar" was added after "tape" then in 1883, "bar or tape" was replaced with "bar" only

However, see below.

History, I think. That has been in the Laws since at least the 70s. I’d imagine it came in as a safety rule after something happened where someone had the genius idea to keep playing with a broken frame by tying a rope to make the crossbar.
Well actually, as @Scotty Ref says, using a rope to replace a broken bar (although only in friendly matches) was specifically allowed until 1996.

Screenshot_2023_1009_141333.png

The allowance for a rope in friendly matches was dropped in 1997.

Screenshot_2023_1009_141419.png

So I think the reason the law still says a rope is not a permissible replacement for the bar is because strings, tapes or ropes were used, not only back in the early years of the game but also up until relatively recently (in friendly matches at least).

Last edited:
Back