A&H

The new clarification on interfering in an offside position

J-K

Level 5 Referee
Is possible the most complicated bit of blurb I've read in a long time.

Unless I'm wrong it's basically, the player has to do something which affects how the defender reacts, to be interfering.

I.e. attempting the play the ball

Some of the drawings on the IFAB (I think) document are kindergarten stuff.

The Referee Store
See what's you mean.

Twice last season I was AR for the same ref (but different games) and had a defender receiving a long ball from the opponent. He has an opposing attacker in an offside position behind him who makes an effort to move with pace towards the ball, the resulting play of the ball by the defender is poor (missed the ball entirely on one occasion). I have flagged and the ref gives it. Afterwards he highlights that he went with it, but that I was technically wrong.

This document supports what I did? Possibly?

Keeps getting more and more confusing!?!?!

Last edited:
The main thing I'll take from it is the example of an air-shot of a centrally placed off-side striker that causes the GK to delay his movement, without physically impending the GK from challenging for the ball ... and then the ball carries on to an on-side striker who scores ...

Previously I would have let that go ... now I'll flag it

Anyone have the thing that was sent out and can share? We've not gotten it over here in Canada as yet...

Every time FIFA have made changes since the BIG offside change, they've completely screwed it up. I shudder to think what they've stuffed up this time. Law 11 has become absolutely ridiculous and completely unfair, unreasonable and no understanding of the game.

Every time FIFA have made changes since the BIG offside change, they've completely screwed it up. I shudder to think what they've stuffed up this time. Law 11 has become absolutely ridiculous and completely unfair, unreasonable and no understanding of the game.

Should have had this amendment in before the 2015/16 LOTG release.

Here's some guidance with clips from the SFA, which I hope can help.

Manchester City v West Brom

The two offside attacking players (white 8 and 18) do not attempt to play the ball, are not close to the ball and do not impact on the ability of the goalkeeper to play the ball.

DECISION = NOT OFFSIDE

CONMEBOL

The movement of the offside attacking player (white 30) hinders/restricts the ability of the defender (No 28) to play the ball &/or challenge the attacker (White 9). The attacking player has made an obvious action which clearly impacts on the defender.

DECISION = OFFSIDE

Kilmarnock v Patrick Thistle

The attacking player clearly attempts to play the ball and the IFAB clarification means it does not matter if he touches the ball or not. The attacker’s clear attempt to play the ball impacts on goalkeeper who delays his movement/reaction to see if/where the attacker will kick the ball.

DECISION = OFFSIDE

Juventus v Everton

The attacking player clearly attempts to play the ball and the IFAB clarification means it does not matter if he touches the ball or not. The attacker’s clear attempt to play the ball impacts on goalkeeper who delays his movement/reaction to see if/where the attacker will kick the ball

DECISION = OFFSIDE

These new instructions only apply to supply league and above where neutral assistant referees are used. Not to be used at grass roots level with CARs as deemed to be too confusing according to Keith Stroud National game referee manager.
My concern is that CARs will see offside given the previous evening on match of the day and will try to flag for it next day despite our instructions to them and will probably cause more confusion with in essence different rules being applied in different standards of football.

Where is this new clarification/instructions cos I can see no change in the LOTG.

By current wording the 3rd and 4th video goals should stand.
Where has this "goalkeeper who delays his movement/reaction to see if/where the attacker will kick the ball" wording come from?

Sounds like we are almost back in the days of old offside rule, I'd be pleased to see us go back to it!

These new instructions only apply to supply league and above where neutral assistant referees are used. Not to be used at grass roots level with CARs as deemed to be too confusing according to Keith Stroud National game referee manager.
My concern is that CARs will see offside given the previous evening on match of the day and will try to flag for it next day despite our instructions to them and will probably cause more confusion with in essence different rules being applied in different standards of football.
Dont use CAR for any decision except ball in and out of play... simple.

Here's a letter which answers some peoples questions..... The following is a direct extract of the direction from the FA:

Dear All

Following on from the recent communication regarding the offside interpretation, please see attached the new additional guidance from The FA and IFAB.

Please note that this new guidance is intended for the level of football that assistant referees regularly operate (Supply League and above). If a County FA have any leagues that operate with ‘Neutral Assistant Referees’ then this guidance should also be implemented. It is imperative that referees operating at grassroots level, where they operate alone, do not try and implement this, as grassroots leagues, clubs and players will not have the understanding.

Best Regards
Keith

Keith Stroud | National Game Referee Manager - Workforce

They wouldn't have the understanding of the previous offside law either, so what version of the offside law are we supposed to use at grassroots? The FA don't have the authority to give guidance contrary to what IFAB say.

So on Sunday when a player in an offside position swings at a through ball, misses it, but in doing so wrongfoots the keeper and the ball goes in I'm allowing the goal?
Whilst the exact same thing was flagged for offside on MOTD the night before.
Awesome!

The players don't understand the bloody throw in law, shall I just do kick in instead?

Back