A&H

The ref exam

JoeMaloney5

Level 7 Referee
Hi all ive refed alot of games up to now since my course but ive got the exam tomorrow 630 til 830 any tips ?

i know that knowing the lotg is a given but i more want to know the format is it tick box written verbal or all of the above what sort of things will it ask scenarios or just the law in its fullest

im kinda bricking it any help much appreciated (ESPECIALLY THE FORMAT )

cheers

The Referee Store
Look at areferee.com.. those are the types of qs to expect. Scenario based with multiple choice tick sheet. The answers can be a bit suspect on there but very close to what you'll be presented with tomorrow.

At least it was the last time I did an exam which was last season.

The key thing I always say is go with what is correct in law, not which you may necessarily do in a game. The best example is something like this ...

Blue team are playing red team. You award a throw-in to the Blue team near to the half way line. A blue team player goes to fetch the ball, but then releases it back into play 10 metres closer to his own goal than where it went out of play. Should you ...

a) Allow play to continue as the blue team have not benefited from this.
b) Tell the player to take it again from the correct location.
c) Penalise the incorrectly taken throw-in and order it to be taken by the red team from the place the ball crossed the touchline
d) Stop play and restart with an indirect free kick to the red team.

This is the type of question that referees often mess up on. In a game you might well go with a, or possibly even b, but the only answer permitted by law is c, so c is what you need to tick on the form. Basically, leave any common sense you may use on the pitch outside of the exam room and collect it again on the way back out after you have passed.

Many of the questions will give you a clue. They will talk about "careless" "reckless" or "excessive force" in the question, so make sure you know what you do for each.

knowing the laws is something that is critical for refereeing, so regardless of your score, make sure you keep studying them!

I am a tutor. The exam has 42 questions. It is basic law - IDFK/DFK offences (what's offside for example?), know offside law itself, how do we restart play in different scenarios, know cautionable and sending off offences, lengths of halfs, number of players etc.. I can't give you more information, but just learn basic law. Read the question carefully and quote law, not common sense.

From my experience the first exam gives enough basic questions to pass - things that if you don’t know you really don’t know what you’re doing. Then a few more challenging questions for “bonus” - such as obscure restarts, carefully worded Qs about offside or sanctions etc. For reference when I did my first exam it was with about 50 people and every single person passed (oh and I got 49 out of 50 :angel:)

I personally recommend areferee.com (other on here don’t). The format is similar to what you’ll be asked and the only allegedly dodgy answers on there seem to be around complicated scenarios and/or law changes.

I recommend areferee.comas well. If you have read the LOTG and use the website as learning tool you will pass with flying colours . I got 1 wrong like WilliamD. But when using the website there are a lot of really obscure scenarios and the test is a lot simpler. I was worried about the test and had to reread every question because I thought I was going to be challenged more. I still go over the LOTG and still use the website now and agin for a little bit of nerdy revision!

This may be a bit late for your exam but in general the more advanced the exam the more questions you get to test your lateral thinking around the laws of the game (you may call them trick questions). Here is an example that most referees get wrong (without the clue of “think laterally”)

A player takes a free kick quickly and an opponent who is already less than 9.15 m (10 yds) from the ball intercepts it, the referee:
A. Allows play to continue.
B. Awards an indirect free kick from the position of the intercept
C. Orders a retake
D. Allows play to continue or orders a retake

How did you find it? I have mine a week tomorrow!
honestly its a play on words just read the question and look for key words such as careless reckless excessive force and ESPECIALLY where on the pitch it happens but you need 30 out of 42 to pass good luck mate

This may be a bit late for your exam but in general the more advanced the exam the more questions you get to test your lateral thinking around the laws of the game (you may call them trick questions). Here is an example that most referees get wrong (without the clue of “think laterally”)
You never gave the answer.......

Back