A&H

The Referee - India vs UAE World Cup Qualifier - Interesting incidents

This kept appearing in my goggle alerts and to be honest every day I see someone moan about a Referee so I paid little attention. However Ive just seen the video on Soccerblog and paid closer attention.
Take a look at the video below and the two incidents in question.

Incident 1) - DOGSO?
Looking at the incident it appears that the defender pulls back the attacker as he is running through on goal. However while there appears to be contact it doesn't seem there is a pull so does the striker make the most of it? The other thing here is this a Obvious Goal Scoring Opportunity? Yes he is face to face with the keeper but he doesn't have control of the ball.
I find this a tough one and with the angle the Referee has to the left of the incident its easy to see why he went with a Red Card.
Incident 2) - Violent Conduct
The keeper deliberately raises his knee to "defend" himself against the attacker. There's a few ways to look at this. Is this a careless act that is just meant to defend his body OR is this a Violent act with an aim of hurting his opponent? For me this is not a defensive tactic as the keeper has control of the ball before lifting his knee. The other issue here is that the keeper actually misses his opponents rib cage although the player still goes down. Now just because there isn't contact if the Referee feels it was a deliberate attempt then it is still a Penalty and Violent Conduct.
What are your thoughts on the two incidents put your comments below

The Referee Store
Back