A&H

Open Age The talk with the captains

DB

Referee, Observer, Mentor, Player
Level 5 Referee
My first new thread on this forum :D *drumroll*

As a player first and a referee second (I ref on Sundays and when I haven't got a game for my side), I've heard so many pep talks from the referees when I go to the middle to do the handshakes and coin toss. Some I find brilliant, others I find quite tedious.

What do you guys say when in the middle?

The Referee Store
To control the players, and to talk to me as I will talk to them when required.
I also get the CARS in at the same time, so everyone knows what I've asked them to give/not give.

Doesn't take more than a minute or two.

I find keeping it short and sweet better than a long chat, but others may have a different view on it.

Reactions: DB
"So, guys, let's make today all about what you do and not about what I do okay?" "My only other message is play safely please and have fun". :cool:

That's it. Nothing else really needed unless you've prior history or knowledge of/with both teams and you've something that you feel needs saying that pertains to that particular match(?). :)

I agree. I've had one guy before literally talk for almost 10 minutes. He covered everything! I was even told where the nearest first aid kit was (permanent kit) and even a defibrillator!!

Reactions: Kes
I agree. I've had one guy before literally talk for almost 10 minutes. He covered everything! I was even told where the nearest first aid kit was (permanent kit) and even a defibrillator!!

LOL!!
Yeah, I know what you mean. :D
I spent my first couple of years listening to other more senior referees doing there pre-match spiel whenever I was running a line. I'd pick up on the odd phrase I liked or that I thought got the point across well and store it for personal use later. :) I'm guessing that's how most ref's ultimately arrive at their chosen "speech". ;)
I eventually learned that 90% of what you say at that point just goes in one ear and out the other. The players by that stage are just looking to get the toss done and get on with it so you may as well just use 20 seconds (tops) to try and gain their respect and cooperation by using a few friendly words rather than attempting to impose your expectations on them. Others will disagree but the above works for me. :)

Yeah, I generally have a bit of a chat with the teams whilst doing the pitch and kit inspections, but again that's more of a general chat about how their Saturday night was, how's the seasons going etc to try and build a bit of a report with them

As both a long-time player and referee, I can attest to the fact that what is said during that conference never gets conveyed to the team (beyond which end the team is starting in, and on rare occasions, who will be kicking off, usually both teams have to ask the referee that). All players in those conferences care about is who wins the coin toss, and that's about it. The rest is in one ear and straight out the other.

So, keep it short, keep it simple in that conference.

As a couple of others have stated (here and elsewhere), use some of your pre-game time when you talk to the managers to convey the important stuff. I use that time to let them know what my technical area expectations are, substitute expectations, and so forth. The manager is more likely to convey what is required in their final pre-game chat.

I have written my pre match word for word:

"At the end of this chat, please give these flags to a responsible adult. Head or tails? Which goal do you want to attack? Have a good one"

Precisely Kes! When I go for the toss, I've heard it so many times I just kind of zone out unless something interesting is said.
If the teams are warming up and I hear "Ref, do you want a word?" I'll go over and say hello and basically break the ice. Most referees will tell the Captains how they expect their team to act - Yet as soon as the coin toss is completed, it's kick-off. There's no time for the skippers to relay the information.

All I do personally is ask how they are and remind them that I will be they will be the point of contact between players and referee. I don't mind talking to players and discussing my decisions very briefly, but anything more than that I'd expect the skippers to at least try and control their players.

Would be interested to know what those who have captained sides think makes a good pre-match chat. Anything that isn't "in one ear and out the other"? Anything that helps/works?

Cheers.

For me personally as a Captain, I've heard pretty much everything on multiple occasions. For me, the short and sharp speeches work. "Hi, I'm ******. Lovely weather for a game. (The icebreaker) and then a few words of what is expected "Play to the whistle, keep your players under control, you are my point of contact" etc. Simple, effective and straight away as a captain you know where you stand. That's all that needs to be said. We all play football and know what a referee expects (Although some act like they don't). I've had one guy before that had me in stitches. Basically said all that but in a really comical way. It was very effective because it broke the ice and got us on good terms straight away, building a rappor before we've even kicked a ball.

For me, a referee has to be approachable and talk to you. That can usually be determined within that minute or two in the centre cirle.

Virtually nothing.....waste of time....most captains have the armband because they are the mouthiest so anything you say is forgotten the minute the whistle goes.

Might bother to get their names if they look a few steps up from the normal drunken troglodytes.....which is rare these days!

Don't bother with the spiel, don't do this that and the other, etc. If the referee starts rambling on, especially if he's trying hard to be clever and creative, then as a player (heck, as an AR) I'll immediately lose respect.
My talk with the captains is to suggest that they look after their players before I have to, and I may call on them to help keep the lads in line. Then, if I do call on them, I'll reference the fact that I said I might do it. Sets a 'I'm here to work with you' tone. Not convinced it does anything, but I think in my areas there's an expectation of the referee to say something before the game, at least.

I generally black out when I do my pre match speil ... so don't really have any idea what I say - different everytime! im always comical (but then I am a funny kinda guy!) I always think if you can get a little chuckle out of both captains then it can ease pressure from you at the off.

ohh and I always give the home captain the coin to toss, away calls it in the air (I think this also helps as you are both making them do something and can see if they are listening to you!)

I never give any advice to the team/captains, if they ask I tell them they know what they are here for, it is not something I would recommend they are not listening anyhow.

For the benefit of this example, home skipper is called Dave, away is called John and he wins the toss (taking this example from when I was a 4, meaning I got team sheets which had to have captain marked on them)

"Alright lads. Dave, you toss and catch the coin. John, you call it in the air. John, you win, which end do you want? Brilliant, Dave it's your kick. Enjoy the game lads"

That was it. As mentioned by others, there's simply no point. Players don't care, don't listen and don't follow what you've asked them to do. You can also leave yourself in a dangerous situation if you say you're gonna do something, that thing happens, you don't do it and the captain remembers!
Short, sweet and get them the hell outta there!

Always get their names before (from team sheets or ask the manager) - use them to call them in to the middle

Have the chat with the CAR there too - so they know what you've told them

Other than that - short and sweet works best as others say above ... I currently go "it's your game - if your teams are a pain then it'll be my game for a bit and I'll get busy until we've all calmed down"

Mine used to be about a minute, and now it is 20 seconds. I use this to tell the captains my personal style as I feel it is absolutely relevant and they need to know it, i.e. -
1) I just want to watch you boys play football, I like to let the game flow and I will come back for fouls if I need to so make sure your boys play to the whistle
2) If you want a chat about something, do it at the right time and not from 50 yards away. I don't mind chatting, but keep it nice and keep your boys under control before I need to.
3) If I call you over, it's a final warning for your player so support me and we'll keep the cards in my pocket.

I also make sure I give the club linos (where I have them) my instructions in front of the captains - specifically that I cannot take fouls from them and there only job is to indicate ball in/out play and offsides. If I don't agree with their offside flag, we'll play on.

Toss - I do it and the away side calls.

Nice and simple, no surprises.

I have written my pre match word for word:

"At the end of this chat, please give these flags to a responsible adult. Head or tails? Which goal do you want to attack? Have a good one"

You could have said "HELLO" at the beginning.... the manners of the young these days?:p

Short is best. I would recommend that you get the Capt first name's, which will aid you. If you have to call them over to deal with a player, using their first name is less formal and better pro-active game management.

Back