A&H

The use of red and yellow cards in pre season games.

Nathan Fuller

Has anyone on here ever received backlash for sending a player off in pre season? I say this having happened to me last pre season. Many referees at grassroots level would normally have the player subbed off for such offences, however having officiated on the south midlands league line I noticed that the refs use their cards even in pre season so in turn I decided to adopt this approach into the grassroots game. Do any other refs follow suit or are they more relaxed?

The Referee Store
I receive backlash whether it’s preseason or during the normal season. We have them, use them. No point in being soft on the players, because when they do something similar during the normal season, you don’t help the referee there by having not sent them off in preseason.

Exactly, after all pre season is supposed to be about training players and referees for the new season though having stuck to the approach of using the cards players still shout, “put the cards away its a friendly” or “this aint about you ref”.

I’ve had players subbed for sure, the ones walking a persistent tightrope, but if it gets to a stick on card then it’s coming out for sure.... and it’s sent in too!

Had my worst ever experience in a pre-season game, only ever abandonment, serious ABH, ambulance on the pitch, 2 long bans, could have sent 18 off but I was safer walking away and seeking medical attention for a guy that we thought was dead! Apart from that, they were a breeze! :confused:

Yeah, friendlies seem to be more aggressive and violent in my limited experience of them. One that stands out was three SFP tackles from the away side, and basically the home manager and myself got into a friendly discussion about how it was anything but a friendly match. I don't think they invited them back for future pre-season friendlies tbh.

Watch about match fee in pre season would you charge the same as if your doing a normal league game?

For me, say its the third and a yc in a proper game, If the situation allowed, then, there is a high chance I would not caution. And so on

Its not for the referee to set the match fee, least never been the case here

We have a set fee for league games, a manger contacts you in pre season says we have a game this wknd can u ref it for us?

He asks is that normal match fee ref or what?

What is your thinking on match fees for friendlies, not a competitive match so you ask for less or just go with normal match fee.

We have a set fee for league games, a manger contacts you in pre season says we have a game this wknd can u ref it for us?

What is your thinking on match fees for friendlies, not a competitive match so you ask for less or just go with normal match fee.

For me, normal match fee. Police, stewards, first aid, press, the pie hut takings, are on same rate for game (where and when applicible), so, so am I
The pitch will cost same regardless of game as will the cost to wash the kit, as will my fuel and so on.

For me, normal match fee. Police, stewards, first aid, press, the pie hut takings, are on same rate for game (where and when applicible), so, so am I
The pitch will cost same regardless of game as will the cost to wash the kit, as will my fuel and so on.

Good enough for me.

Watch about match fee in pre season would you charge the same as if your doing a normal league game?
Its normally up to the clubs to decide though with pre season its about finding the games too. To set a good sales pitch ask the teams to offer a discount from what the normal league would offer, for example if the league sets refs fees at £40 offer to do it for £35 or £30 etc.

Yeah, I would normally expect the same match fee you would expect for that team playing in their standard league. If the fees go up over the summer, you charge them the new fee for any specifically pre-season matches (say August onwards).

I used to do it half fee plus mileage. I feel like I'm benefiting from the friendlies, as its match-practice and it isn't really taking anything away from my day so I don't mind.

Its normally up to the clubs to decide though with pre season its about finding the games too. To set a good sales pitch ask the teams to offer a discount from what the normal league would offer, for example if the league sets refs fees at £40 offer to do it for £35 or £30 etc.

Must be different where you are and fair play to you but here, as officials, I have not heard of haggling to get games, your appointed to a team who are registered to a league, they pay the leagues set fee
Course when its say, 2 diff leagues or something, then there might be scope for "is £40 ok boss" but we are there to service the game, not wage a bidding war against officials looking for the correct fee.

We as teams and referees organise our own pre season games they are nothing to do with the league, it’s just two managers making a call to one & other, then finding a ref.

I’ll be refereeing my old side throughout the summer infact now I’ve decided to hang my boots up for good I’ll have two former sides to ref plus I’ve told every manager this season that I’ve spoken to at games that I’m available over the summer for pre season games, so hopefuly I should be busy & by god I need the practice.

Back