A&H

There's Always Something ...

Kes

I'll Decide ...
Cup match on Saturday. One sided affair really on a pitch that was barely playable but lasted.
Away team winning 5-0 about 20 mins to go. Home side press forward and their centre forward wriggles into the penalty area and gets a shot off on goal. Away defender, arms in the air, shot hits his forearm and there are numerous appeals for handball. I'm pretty sure it's a penalty, but not 100% at the moment that it occurs so give myself an extra 3 seconds to rerun the incident in my head before blowing and pointing to the spot for the penalty.
In the time it's taken me to do this, our erstwhile centre forward has recollected the rebound (from the defender's forearm) and snapped another shot goalwards which the keeper saves. As this happens, I've of course blown for the penalty. Cue the enraged away team captain running over to me with shouts of "YOU CAN'T DO THAT, (repeat to fade).
Seems my slight delay in blowing the whistle and awarding the penalty (something I've always been advised to do in the past), caused him/them to assume I was somehow playing advantage!! :rolleyes: :wall:
Anyway, away skipper is told to calm down whilst I explain to him that he is wrong, but his attitude earns him a caution.
I suppose my point is, even if you think (and know) you've got something right, don't assume the players know it too.
Note to self - ensure you don't take too long making your penalty decision in future. ...:wide:

The Referee Store
Did something similar recently except I was actually waiting to see what the outcome. I judged at the time that the shot they had was not as advantageous as the penalty I should have and ultimately, awarded.
I was questioned but overall the players were accepting of my decision.

Back