A&H

Thinking of Promotion next season

TommmC

Hi, so my idea of next season is to go for L6 when I'm 17 (Yes I will be learning to drive and yes that is very young) because I feel confident. I've been an assistant on a local adult league and a U18 league with the games going well. I also came to the agreement with the NWCFL referee sec that I can do Lines on the two local grounds nearby and as well as junior leagues plus helping a current PE member of staff at my school refereeing the local primary schools that play in a league structure

My question is, what do you guys think of a 17 year old taking charge of 22 men on a Saturday afternoon or whenever? I am open to the idea of it but i just keep thinking "Oh the abuse will be horrible if i get one decision wrong" "The language will be bad"- Not to mention my parents who are worried of me doing junior games nevermind open age

Let me know

The Referee Store
You said it yourself, you feel confident, so go for it. It isn't for everyone, but I observed a 16 year old L7 who was amazing and is now L4 at 18 and has every chance of going much further, I'll be disappointed if he isn't Football League by the time he is 24. It isn't that different to playing - some 16 year olds will break into Premier League teams and thrive, others will break in, not quite make it and reinvent themselves at lower levels.

You have nothing to lose really. You'll get advice from (hopefully) experienced and knowledgeable observers, so even if it doesn't work out you should come out of it a better referee

Back