A&H

This isnt exactly a law question but...

Paul_Jones

Level 7 Referee
who actually gets the toss? I have just been asking the home team to choose head or tail for KO. but can anyone properly explain?

The Referee Store
You need to have a good read of the magic booklet! (the laws of the game). Law 8 covers the start and restart of play which includes the procedure for before kick off.

A coin is tossed - Lotg game don't say who gets to toss the coin. I do this myself and I ask the away team to call it in the air, but this just preference, I know some refs who give the coin to the home team captain to toss. As long as a coin is tossed and one of the captains wins the toss - job done.

This next bit is clearly laid out in law: The team that wins the toss chooses which goal it will attack in the first half. The losing team gets to kick off in the first half. After the toss I show the coin and which side is up to the captains and prompt the winning captain "you get to choose ends captain" As now and again one of them will try and claim kick off - which they can't. :)

Hope that helps. And have a damn good read of the Lotg - get to know them as a sound knowledge of the laws of the game is essential ingredients to becoming a good and credible referee. Good luck mate.

thanks for that... now on the course i took the tutor told the group the winner of the toss gets Kick off... "dont allow them to choose its just the winner gets the ball" which as you point out is incorrect. im going for home team chooses heads or tails, i flip coin, winner chooses end... the loser gets to kick off

I go for the cricketing way of doing things. Home team tosses it, and away team calls it.

There is no right or wrong way, as it is purely based on luck. So it doesn't matter who does the coin toss, or which team calls it. No team will gain an advantage.

For me, I toss the coin, and ask the away team to call before I do it.

It's not specified in LOTG but I think most referees like to have their own format for the toss. I always toss the coin myself and ask the away team to make the call. I also explain that winning the toss entitles you to choose ends, surprising how many captains win the toss then ask to take the kick off!

I've done the old "which hand is the whistle in" a good few times.

Back packed - check
Notepad - check
Whistle - check
3x watches - check
Red and yellow - check
Flags - check

Turn up to game, blow whistle to bring teams onto the pitch. - **** where's my coin!

"away captain left or right please fella"

I go for the cricketing way of doing things. Home team tosses it, and away team calls it.

Me too. That way it's one less thing they can blame me for if they end up at a disadvantage - particularly with low sun in the autumn and winter

Back