A&H

This one doing the rounds.

spuddy1878

RefChat Addict

I get it's 2021.

I've sent booked and sent people off for winning the ball and following though in a way deemed as reckless or more.

BUT

Yes it's a tough challenge, he's low, I'd say pretty much in control and he takes the ball cleanly.

I think this is one incident when it's just a good hard but fair challenge.

I know plenty will disagree.

The Referee Store
Honestly, it's the sort of tackle that got me into trouble a few times
SFP all day I'm afraid, especially in the 3rd Penalty Area

Its the speed of the challenge that is the red flag here, that is always going to be at least a caution these days as you can't possible be in control. He is low though and with one leg tucked away, so I'd be happy with yellow there.

1613505432597.png

I get that these aren't considerations in isolation, but where's the need to charge in that fast? Where's the need to go off the ground?

I get that these aren't considerations in isolation, but where's the need to charge in that fast? Where's the need to go off the ground?

Also, what is the need to fly in there like that? The opponent isn't really going anywhere and can be easily defended, just stay on your feet as you will never, ever get away with a challenge like that.

Not sure if I was a coach that I'd want challenges like that to be common in U23s. One bad injury and that's potentially their career over before it's even properly began. You saw the reaction of the players too - in the context of the game, I think a yellow card is expected

Strange, I know for sure that my bar is much higher then most referees, but I'd be disappointed in myself if I didn't deal with this one effectively. Most players would pull out of that challenge because it's akin to going through the central reservation and into oncoming traffic. The combined speed means that most are pulling out because injury is inevitable. Good tackle though, if you like that sort of thing 👍 & enjoy mass cons

Not sure if I was a coach that I'd want challenges like that to be common in U23s. One bad injury and that's potentially their career over before it's even properly began. You saw the reaction of the players too - in the context of the game, I think a yellow card is expected

That's why U23 games are a pain in the arse to referee. Managers and coaches to some extent expect them to be played as friendlies, but then fire up their players to do things like this. They are the easiest games to referee in terms of match tempo, but also the hardest games to referee as you never really know what to expect. Only needs a couple of first team players to have been dumped to the U23s and the whole game can change as they are fired up and trying to prove their manager wrong.

Screenshot_20210217-092038.jpg
At the very least he has acted with disregard to the danger to, or consequences for an opponent. It doesn't take a genius to work out (before going for the tackle like that) that it is going to up end his opponent. Making "I got the ball ref" an excuse is just not acceptable here.

Is it excessive force? very close but hasn't crossed that threshold for me.

Last edited:
Safe to say there has been a lot of outrage on Twitter about this but I have to agree with what you guys have said in here, my immediate thought was a caution for reckless play. Judging by the reaction of many, I think fans expect there to be no foul given if a player "wins the ball" regardless of the force of the tackle.

Safe to say there has been a lot of outrage on Twitter about this but I have to agree with what you guys have said in here, my immediate thought was a caution for reckless play. Judging by the reaction of many, I think fans expect there to be no foul given if a player "wins the ball" regardless of the force of the tackle.

So, hmm, is that "what football expects" and we have to stop calling it a foul? :eek: :rolleyes:

I think this is a great opportunity to educate this Alistair about the LotG. This is textbook reckless for me - though I do understand that this would have been play on in the 80s!

I think this is a great opportunity to educate this Alistair about the LotG. This is textbook reckless for me - though I do understand that this would have been play on in the 80s!
Heh - the Alistair in this case is known for being rather forthright in his opinions. He's one of the people that led us into the war with Iraq 20 years ago...

Back