A&H

Open Age This will be your last game ref

The Referee Store
When you tell both teams the match is off because you won't referee without corner flags I don't think last week's ref is going to get a mention.
You'd be wrong to do that under spirit of the game...

Yes, because that law matters.

Even at the highest level the culture dictates which rules are strictly applied. Until very recently no referee would insist on a penalty re-take as a result of encroachment unless the encroachment affects the result. I even read a referee guide written buy two FIFA WC referees that said you shouldn't. It is often the case that a blatant foul in the penalty area on a striker long after a shot has been taken is not penalised. (Personally I don't understand that one but it seems to be expected.)
Because the ball is usually out of play by the time the foul occurs, thus a penalty can't be awarded.

When you tell both teams the match is off because you won't referee without corner flags I don't think last week's ref is going to get a mention.
No, he won't . . . but IFAB instruct that the game at a lower level should go ahead without corner flags . . .
The comments about "Last week's referee . . ." are made to referees who use the LOTG, not a personalised and selective alternative.
League rules at parks level often cover issues like tape, undershirts and undershirts, but never letting subs come on when they feel like it.

League rules at parks level often cover issues like tape, undershirts and undershirts

No they don't. Give me one example of a grassroots league that is allowed by their CFA to override the LOTG on any those issues.

but never letting subs come on when they feel like it.

Now you're putting words in my mouth which is a very dangerous tactic, given your audience. "Letting subs come on when they feel like it" is much too obvious. We are all referees here. We can spot a dive like that a mile off. You need to be more subtle.

No they don't. Give me one example of a grassroots league that is allowed by their CFA to override the LOTG on any those issues.
maybe not UK but mine does. And it's dictated by our state body that grassroots not to enforce it.

Now you're putting words in my mouth which is a very dangerous tactic, given your audience. "Letting subs come on when they feel like it" is much too obvious. We are all referees here. We can spot a dive like that a mile off. You need to be more subtle.
If you have a read through County FA guidance to referees they stress the importance of player safety in youth football, for example, and suggest telling the club that you will play but they need to be aware of the laws appertaining to undershirts. undershorts, tape, etc.
Regarding substitutions, law states when the sub can enter, but you are just choosing to ignore that and let the sub run on, presumably with no equipment check.

You don't ignore any laws. You manage or 'bend' some of them in line with the intent of the law or the spirit of the game. But never because it makes it easier for the referee.

Regarding substitutions, law states when the sub can enter, but you are just choosing to ignore that and let the sub run on

I never said or suggested or implied that I let a substitute on "when they feel like it". Why do you keep making this up?

maybe not UK but mine does. And it's dictated by our state body that grassroots not to enforce it.

Well that sounds like a very sensible system. But it sort of makes my point for me - there are some laws which are less important than others in grassroots football.

Even at the top level referees often do not insist, for example, that a player being substituted leaves the pitch at the nearest point. It's just a question of being sensible about it.

Back