A&H

Thoughts please

Dave87

Hi,

Please could I have some thoughts on my first assessment and a potential mark from the assessors out there.

1. Application of Law

Your early attendance ensured you carried out your pre-match duties efficiently. You were able to distinguish between the types of offences committed and penalised according to Law. The few cases of dissent were dealt with quickly and did not undermine your overall performance. You used sound judgment regarding off-side decisions by the Club assistants allowing play to continue on several occasions. The Law was applied consistently throughout this match. Having used a quiet word, then a more public warning, to White No. 11 you cautioned him in the 77th minute using the correct procedure.

2. Match Control

You achieved control of this match by being totally involved and giving decisions promptly and with conviction. You showed a degree of tolerance by allowing for the skill level of the players and remained calm and courteous when speaking to them. You asserted your authority with the penalty decision in the 15th minute which, was accepted without too many protests mainly due to your positive signal and body language. As tension began to rise in the last 10 minutes you were pro-active to retain control by being in the right place to diffuse any reactions from players.

3. Positioning, Fitness & Work Rate

The fitness level you showed allowed you to move around the field of play effortlessly for the duration of the match. I suggest you adapt your patrol path to take in the extremities of the field which will give you a wider view and help to avoid getting mixed up with play as you did several times. You anticipated the next phase of play quite well, particularly when the ball was out of play, to get into position to have a clear view of the “drop zone”. When you have awarded a free kick take up a position to get the best possible view especially near to, or in, the penalty area as decisions given here must be credible. The different positions you took up at corner kicks were good practice, well done.

4. Alertness & Awareness, including Management of Stoppages

Substitution requests were dealt with promptly and in accordance with Law, you ensured the correct distance was observed at free kicks and re-started play without delay. You need to remain aware following a goal being scored as a player reaction can occur, it is advisable to keep the main body of players in view before noting the score, the same applies to an injury situation particularly if the injury is the result of an illegal challenge. You were quickly aware of Blue No. 9 who was bleeding taking the correct action by ensuring he left the field of play and then checking before allowing him back.

5. Communication

You communicated with players ,when necessary, in a polite and firm manner. The way you used the whistle was excellent, it was always audible and effective and ensured you were always in control. The arm signals you used were clear and decisive controlling direction and position.

6. Teamwork

The Club assistants were quite helpful and you acknowledged them throughout the match and thanked them at the end. On the odd occasion you overruled them you let them know you had seen their signal.

7. Advantage

Only a few opportunities arose to play advantage and you dealt with these correctly.

Section Strengths

1 Consistant and correct application
2 Control with conviction
5 Good use of whistle

Section Development Areas

4 Be aware always
3 Adapt patrol path when necessary

The Referee Store
I've never been assesed nor am I an assessor myself but that seems to be a pretty solid assment to me :)

Dave, a good assessment, although lacking detail in some areas. You shouldn't worry about a mark, as I suspect you're around the 73 area.

Back