A&H

Threshold for Dissent

What is your Threshold for Dissent/ OFFINABUS?

• Any Swearing at me - Red Card

Votes: 8 26.7%
  • Any Swearing at me - Yellow Card/ Sin Bin

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • Any Swearing at me - Warning and then card if repeated

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • Depends on Age group and Skill level

Votes: 15 50.0%

• Total voters
I never speak to teams before games. Never. I'm 100% there's very limited scope to benefit from doing so, yet huge scope to get off to a bad start by interrupting their pre-match
I also say as little as possible to Captains. I've even stopped mentioning the 'stepped approach' in any capacity. They're not interested and they'll find out about that strategy as and when I use it. I'm convinced that I get more respect from Captains by just getting on with it and I lose nothing whatsoever in terms of MC by adopting this approach. Even Team Officials on exchanging Team Sheets, 'less is more'

I know there's a shift in expectation further up the ladder (in many different respects), but I'll still apply the 'less is more' approach where necessary
Absolutely right mate and you touched upon it but I will elaborate.
At step 3/4 the captains/managers are supposed to come and see referee before game.
I see some refs ignore it and no one seems to mind, but whilst keeping it minimal if you get them in you've got to say something.

My prematch to captains is basically, if I think I can use you to help a situation I will. Please work with me or I won't use you at all.
Yellow and reds you won't be needed for and I will just deal. Any questions? No
Home heads, Away tails.

The Referee Store
Absolutely right mate and you touched upon it but I will elaborate.
At step 3/4 the captains/managers are supposed to come and see referee before game.
I see some refs ignore it and no one seems to mind, but whilst keeping it minimal if you get them in you've got to say something.

My prematch to captains is basically, if I think I can use you to help a situation I will. Please work with me or I won't use you at all.
Yellow and reds you won't be needed for and I will just deal. Any questions? No
Home heads, Away tails.

Speaking to the captains and a senior coach in my changing room when I was L3 was the most pointless exercise ever. They didn't want to be there, I didn't really want them there, and all I'd really say is what I would normally say at the toss (work with me, get hold of players before I have to), and tell the coaches that I'm happy to explain any decision 10 minutes after the game and that they might not agree with me but I'll be honest.

When I played and managed I hated it when referees came to do a speech to players. It interrupted the warm up, and it was largely pointless as they hardly ever carried out any of the promises they made. And with certain referees I'd already told the players if they said so much as boo to him they were getting subbed there and then. I would strongly advise against addressing teams before the game, there really is no point and it is very unlikely to change what happens during the game.

It's not a step 3/4 rule it's down to individual leagues who they want in for the team sheet exchange.

It's not a step 3/4 rule it's down to individual leagues who they want in for the team sheet exchange.
Fair enough, only ever seen it on step 3/4 games. Mostly northern league. Don't see so much on southern. That may be why

I never speak to teams before games. Never. I'm 100% there's very limited scope to benefit from doing so, yet huge scope to get off to a bad start by interrupting their pre-match
I also say as little as possible to Captains. I've even stopped mentioning the 'stepped approach' in any capacity. They're not interested and they'll find out about that strategy as and when I use it. I'm convinced that I get more respect from Captains by just getting on with it and I lose nothing whatsoever in terms of MC by adopting this approach. Even Team Officials on exchanging Team Sheets, 'less is more'

I know there's a shift in expectation further up the ladder (in many different respects), but I'll still apply the 'less is more' approach where necessary
Agree almost 100% - only caveat is that approach, doesn't allow you to "rely on something later, that you haven't mentioned at the toss" ;)

Only thing I say is to ask the captains to intervene if they see one of their players getting in trouble or about to.

Saves the captains. or anyone else moaning (as much!) if you have to sin bin or worse, without warning.

Take your point though, probably makes no difference whatsoever!

My league rules require a straight red for two words. The "F" word and the "N" word. The first came about as it created fistfights and its implementation has curbed it. The N starts fights with African Americans and is highly offensive here.

Otherwise, its how its used.

For Dissent, I was taught the three P's: was it Personal, Provocative, or Public?

Asking me, talking to me, keeping it private, respectfully...this is civil.

I diffuse and warn early. I don't usually get dissent until late in game.

The choice of words generally move it to AOI and I haven't had to reach this. I'm lucky.

Back