A&H

Throw in

jojo

Assistant World Cup Sweepstake Organiser
Level 7 Referee
Today I had a very good appointment - City v Birmingham ladies, for which I was on the line.

First half I was involved a lot, all in my half, and I did really really well, all my flags were correct, and there were no complaints whatsoever.

Then, in the second half, my head was still in the first half, and I signalled the wrong way for the most blatantly obvious throw in ever known. I knew which way it was, just flagged the wrong way! The ref had a joke with me about it (he's my coach, and knows it was just a one off). Anyway, for the rest of that half my confidence was in tatters after such an easy call to make, and I didn't enjoy it because I felt so stupid after that decision, and questioned (myself on) every decision I made. Nobody made a fuss whatsoever, only the ref and me noticed, and we were joking about it later.

Anyway, I've been going over and over in my head, and I can't get past it! Any tips? I just want to get out there and line again, just to prove I'm fine! My next line is next Sunday, but any tips from anyone?

Thanks

The Referee Store
Just forget about it, happens to every single one of us. I know it can be difficult, but just try to laugh it off and move on.

I do it every single game, without fail. I've tried to avoid it but it still happens! :D

Cheers:)

It was just how obvious the call was that annoyed me! We had a good laugh about it after the game, I just annoyed myself with it, and wasn't comfortable for the rest of the half!

Thanks though, appreciate it:)

One of those where you just need to take it on the chin, have a laugh and move on. I was also on the line today, funnily enough for another Birmingham team, and despite being told to lead the referee with my signalling, I was not paying attention in the first 10 seconds of the game as the ball is lumped out of play clearly by one team. I took a guess and put my flag up without thinking, before looking around to see the ref grinning at me and pointing the other way! I put my flag down hastily and grinned back, of course! To be quite honest, I think stuff like that helps match control for the officials as we were shown to be working together and enjoying it, whilst making the right decision in the end. Rather than letting it get me down, I made sure that it would be my last error and ensured I got everything right for the remainder of the game.

I understand what you mean, and fully agree - the only reason it got me down was because it was so blatantly obvious, so I just felt stupid after it!

Ive been senior AR in a rather heated supply league game and done this slap bang in front of the away dugout. Definitely one of the more embarrasing moments as the away coach reminded me that reds were shooting the other way. All laughs and fun about it, good icebreaker tbh. I must do it in at least half of my games. I just try to give a slower flag wherever possible now so hopefully wont make that mistake too often

I've got another big game coming up in a few weeks, but before that I've got another line, so I'll be able to get it out of my system before then:)

I wouldn't dwell on it. In my game yesterday a defender sliced a clearance and it looped all the way across the penalty area, from one side to the other, bounced between players and went over the goal line close to the goal.

The players all began moving away from goal as if it was a goal kick and I signalled goal kick. After a few seconds an attacker asked if it was a corner kick and I just tapped my ear to signify that I had heard a deflection. I hadn't heard anything of the sort but the players had all thought it was a goal kick and nobody questioned my decision apart from that one player. I played it back in my head and realised it should have been a corner kick and by that time play had restarted ... oops!

I've made many mistakes, and I'm sure I'll make many more, it was just the easiest decision of the day! But, I got the decision right, the signal wrong, so I'm sure I'll be fine.

The line I was on this Sunday has been converted to an academy middle, so I won't have a line before my next one, but I'll be fine - just want to get out and ref again!

Reactions: SM
Don't even worry about it. Just take it on the chin and laugh it off. Done it so many times that I have lost count. Just enjoy it next time you are out on the line :)

Back