A&H

Throw-in

one

RefChat Addict
Whats everyone’s thinking on replacing throw-ins with kick-ins (an IFK taken on the touchline).

Throw-in allows field players to restart the game using their hands which is against the general principals of the game.

Kick-in gives the restarting team a bigger advantage. This discourages deliberately putting the ball out of play and a more fluent game with fewer stoppages.

The Referee Store
Would also be a nightmare to ref with every 'throw in' becoming a melee in the box like at a corner.

I agree it would make it more difficult for referees. It becomes just another free kick rather than another corner kick. I was thinking of it from 'betterment of the game' viewpoint. Keep in mind that we would have nowhere near as many throw-ins (kick-ins) as we have now. I think it would make the game a better spectacular than what it is now. You would never know util its trialed.

Another bonus ins grassroots level where enforcing the procedure is a nightmare (well almost) :)
+ removes the necessity for corner flags.

It would increase dissent tenfold - if a TI is basically a FK, then player's are going to scream blue murder for every one.
Is that what happens every time you award a corner kick? Why would this be any different?

I hear you are a Futsal referee ;)

Corner kicks can be pretty contentious. I think it would be worse if every restart is that.

The difference with Futsal (I used to, stopped. Too many idiots, too many assaults and serious incidents) is that the kick-in helps to keep the ball low. The field is so small that you could throw all the way across it anyway, so that part isn't an issue.

Last edited:
Sorry, but it's a dreadful idea that will never work.

I remember this was trialled somewhere (US?) some time ago and was quickly abandoned as it was unworkable

@Monotone Whistle . That's Ok mate. If i am the only one who thinks its a good idea, then it probably isn't :)

Sam Allardyce, Ady Boothroyd, Dave Bassett and Joe Kinnear are in favour of it too. Illustrious company - they've all managed in the top flight; some even got into Europe. Don't be disheartened!

Reactions: one
Sam Allardyce, Ady Boothroyd, Dave Bassett and Joe Kinnear are in favour of it too. Illustrious company - they've all managed in the top flight; some even got into Europe. Don't be disheartened!
Hmmm...Sam "Long-Ball" Allardyce, Aidy Hoofroyd, and two former managers of Wimbledon. I wonder why they would favour a law change that would give more opportunities to launch the ball "into the mixer"?

Back