A&H

Time-Wasting

JBeil

Level 5 Referee
How is timewasting penalised after the caution? Do you continue with the game or award an indirect free kick to the opposite team? The only possible time-wasting I'm aware of while the ball is in play is when the goalkeeper fails to release the ball, but how do we continue with a corner kick, free kick, penalty kick or goal kick?

The Referee Store
For the ones you list at the end, the game is dead, so, the restart does not change. You would, yellow card and still restart the same.
Mind you don't caution the gk for failing to release the ball. That would be an IDFK and no caution.
two diff things, time wasting, and delaying the restart of play. The ball is in play when the gk has it.

Think about it, pk awarded, striker takes an age to take it, you really going to yc him and turn his pk into a IDFK to the opponents?!

In other words, you can not penalise for time wasting when the ball is in play. The only thing that comes close is when the keeper holds the ball for too long. But you are not penalising that for time wasting. It's for the offence of holding the ball for more than 6 seconds which does not attract a caution.

Any time wasting for when ball is out of play is cautioned for the offence of delaying the restart. You restart the the game after the caution the same way as if there was no caution.

How is timewasting penalised after the caution? Do you continue with the game or award an indirect free kick to the opposite team? The only possible time-wasting I'm aware of while the ball is in play is when the goalkeeper fails to release the ball, but how do we continue with a corner kick, free kick, penalty kick or goal kick?

Repeat after me: A restart cannot change for something that happens when the ball is out of play. A restart cannot change for something that happens when the ball is out of play.

Law 8:

1550165965908.png

(Elsewhere here you will find discussion as to whether PK infractions or TI infractions violate this concept, but in those cases, however, you view them, they are violations in the restart, not a separate infraction. Remembering the key concept will help you avoid fluffing a restart--and to get many questions right on refereeing tests.)

Back