A&H

Timekeeping and 4th Official

puddles15

Hi Ref team,

I’m reffing my first cup final Monday night and have a 4th official to boot which is great.

Having not had one before, how do I communicate to them (and the NARs?) how much time I’m going to add on? Is it as simple as keeping tabs on time and using a few fingers to signal just before 90’?

The Referee Store
Hi Ref team,

I’m reffing my first cup final Monday night and have a 4th official to boot which is great.

Having not had one before, how do I communicate to them (and the NARs?) how much time I’m going to add on? Is it as simple as keeping tabs on time and using a few fingers to signal just before 90’?
Yes, or try and get close enough towards the end of the half to shout to confirm your decision.

Sounds like you could really do with a radio like they have in the pro games.
Hmm but a final might not be the best time to use comms for the first time - especially for assistants.

Easier to remind the fourth to look for your hand signal just before the 90. And in the pre match remind that it is a minimum.

You could do it one of two ways. You monitor stoppages and then tell the 4th official how much to indicate at the end of each half. Or ask him to keep a stoppage log, then close to the end of the half get him to tell you what he thinks and you either agree or offer a different opinion.

You could do it one of two ways. You monitor stoppages and then tell the 4th official how much to indicate at the end of each half. Or ask him to keep a stoppage log, then close to the end of the half get him to tell you what he thinks and you either agree or offer a different opinion.
Which do you prefer?

So when I'm first assistant, the ref usually says something along the fines of: "At 43/44mins and 88/89mins I'll hold up a number of extra time with my fingers, give me a thumbs up if you agree or gesture your own number if you disagree, if I forget, just tell the benches I haven't communicated it"
They forget 70% of the time...

Which do you prefer?
I didn't do that many games as 4th official, but I did a lot on the line in the Conference / National League. It became increasingly common for the referee to ask the 4th official to keep a stoppage log and take the lead on how much time to add. The obvious benefit of that approach is if either team challenge the added time it can be relayed back to them stoppage by stoppage, it then becomes very difficult to dispute that. I would definitely take that route if I was to have a game with a 4th official.

When you have experienced ARs/4th (and mics) then it’s easier to share responsibilities.

For the top matches I do (no 4th) the ”best” refs will have comms/mics, great briefs (!) and AR2 monitors all time (and keys;)). Mics are a big advantage - no surprises.

I did this as 4 on my county cup final last week, worked well to have the ref just confirm the time based on my watch

Back