A&H

To move or not to move?

Scottybee

Level 7 Referee
Hi All, just done only my 5th match this morning and twice found myself unexpectedly too close to play. First time a rebounded pass meant I had a player running straight at me with the ball so I moved left to get out of his way, sadly he did same and ran straight into me! Then later on similar thing happened but (having learned from earlier, I thought) I stood still trying to make myself as small as possible and he ran straight into me! So your advice please chaps, stay still? Move? Stop/start running to get outta there?

The Referee Store
Sounds like you may be stood still in "high traffic areas" and that is dangerous. Think of the phrase "think left, get left, stay left" as that will help to get you out of these areas and avoid the middle area. As you run up the pitch try to avoid crossing the centre circle and instead go left of it, that will keep you left and onto your patrol path.

If you do get mixed up in play then standing still is the best option and let the player move around you. If you try to take evasive action you may go the same way as the player and that will result in the collision as you found, whereas if you stand still and the player runs into you then you can blame him or her …:) Sometimes it just happens though, I remember one contrib game where I was hit by the ball twice and a player ran into me once. Not really sure I could have done anything differently, as on the first two occasions the player looked up, saw me, then hit the pass straight at me.

It happens, as much as you try to predict the movement of play you can’t compensate for deflections or mis-hits. If I ever see someone running towards me, my first shout is ‘I’m staying still!’ And leave it on them to move

With youth and low level adults, where the play can be quite random, then standing still with hands down is good policy. The last thing you want is to back into a running child - or get knocked over.

With better quality games though keep moving. With better quality, the play is more predictable, you are more experienced, more confident to take up a position on the diagonal when play changes. With better quality the centre circle is not so much of an issue. It’s little things like realising a DM also wants to start every new phase in the same place as you, so you adjust accordingly.

(Yes, I’ve been knocked over by a 13 year old girl, and had a 12 year old boot it in my face in the early days;))

At youth sometimes you can't be in the right position. you can see where the player should pass the player waiting for the ball is expecting the ball in a certain place you adjust your positioning and the player who has the ball defies all logic and plays the ball at you. As Santa says the better the standard the easier your positioning.

No matter what level you're at and how good the game is, you will at some point find yourself in the way, or will be hit by the ball.

If I find myself caught up in play without an easy escape route, I will normally shout "I'm staying still" that allows the payers chance to move round you, without the awkward they step left and you step right, which means you both crash into each other.

I saw a training video in a session a few years back which poised the question, where is the player with the ball most likely to go or where will he play the ball? Be aware, and make sure that your not in either of these places!

Hi All, just done only my 5th match this morning and twice found myself unexpectedly too close to play. First time a rebounded pass meant I had a player running straight at me with the ball so I moved left to get out of his way, sadly he did same and ran straight into me! Then later on similar thing happened but (having learned from earlier, I thought) I stood still trying to make myself as small as possible and he ran straight into me! So your advice please chaps, stay still? Move? Stop/start running to get outta there?
Hi Scottybee.
Well done on becoming a Referee and completing match number 5..
Welcome to the team in the beautiful game, no fans but you will have comrades everywhere.
Study the match in the first 6-8 minutes after kick off.. natural ability and skill will reveal it self quickly to you with the team who has possession of the ball... If you can within your diagnonal try and drop back less then half a metre.. rather then be always perhaps too far a head of play this opens up your viewing angles.. yes we all run the x on the pitch but you could also run an s one corner post to the opposition's corner post..
Do hope this helps..

Back