A&H

Today

Ben448844

RefChat Addict
Incident this morning. Two players on the half way line arguing and beginning to push each other. It's clearly about to go off so I stop the game and begin to calm the situation down. Managers see the same and sub the players so all good.

The team that didn't have the ball offer to kick the ball back from the ensuing drop ball which is about to take place. As I drop the ball and after it bounced, another player runs in and gets the ball and despite shouts from his own team and manager, rounds the keeper and scores. Of course all the players from the defending team are in my face and the manager too. I explain the situation and all calms down but the goal is awarded.

To be fair the home team manager subs the player and the score is about 6-1 so it didn't impact the game. In hindsight is have blown for anything could think off but it's my 2nd season and first time I've ever seen this,even though I played 1000 games in my career.

What would you have done (once the ball has gone in, I know I should've blown up for any excus3 to talk to someone etc to stop the situation and I'll learn from that)?

The Referee Store
Nothing you can do in that situation. You can't force the drop ball to be uncontested or contested. Sounds like the manager helped you out by subbing the player.

Yeah the manager and the lad who'd scored team mates couldn't believe he actually did it either and told him so! I was surprised that they didn't let the other team just go and score from the kick off. Sunday league, never boring

It was verbal more than anything. I'm aware of what I could've done to prevent the issue and what id do next time, I was more bothered about the legality (the assumption is that it's legal). The fault is off the player and his terrible sportsmanship imo,and the opinion of everyone else there (including the goalscorer after the game).

To clarify, blue says he will give the ball back (I didn't offer just said that we were going to have a drop ball). He gets the ball, has a touch or two and then the player gets it off him and runs towards the keeper. I suppose it's a 'you had to be there moment' and everyone is an expert on here after the event, including myself on this incident, but even as the striker collected the ball no one believed he was actually going to try and score, it appeared that he was just messing about as he jogged towards the goal with his own players and manager telling him to stop being a k*** lol. The surrealness of the event caught me out more than anything.

Last edited:
@bester 's question is pertinent. A second player needed to touch the ball before scored
Maybe the scoring team could have allowed a ceremonial goal against to level things up

Yes it was pertinent and I think I answered it with the following reply but for clarity, the player who was about to kick it back to the keeper touched it a couple of times, it was a teammate who nipped in and then jogged towards the goal.

Do you think he showed a lack of respect for the game? If so you can caution him on that basis.

A point which nobody has mentioned yet, "what a bad tw4t"

Happened Arsenal v Sheff United in the FA Cup didn't it ?

Fast forward to about 35 seconds, not a drop ball but a throw in.

Not really a lot you can do about it. Good job they subbed him as I would have feared for his safety had they not and that could have caused you all sorts of problems,

Not really a lot you can do about it. Good job they subbed him as I would have feared for his safety had they not and that could have caused you all sorts of problems,

Agreed it was going to go off. Mad thing was it was last 10 mins with the scoreline heavily in the other teams favour. Manager was sound and so was his team hence the surprise. You can see things like that coming in certain teams but this one were good to ref despite the score

Bad sportsmanship but nothing wrong in terms of the LOTG and unfortunately it'll always be the ref who gets it in the ear for that.

With the FA always talking about 'Spirit of the game' I've always been at the opinion that there should be a clause in the LOTG that teams should return the ball to the opposition if kicked out of play for an injury etc. 9 times out of 10 they kick it back anyway, the one time they don't it's the referee who gets the abuse.

Back