A&H

Today's Game

JBeil

Level 5 Referee
Reflection on today:

Firstly, nice to get out on a glorious sunny easter saturday for some football!

Now the actual game incidents:

1. Managed to call most of the offsides myself, including two which were goals that my club assistants missed. The players didn't protest too much, and I could see they were nailed on. I asked the CAR to confirm for the second one as a goal had been scored and I wanted to get it right, he did say it was offside (white takes a shot, bounces around the box and the next touch is from a white player who was offside from the first shot) - pretty pleased with that, as I'm usually at the mercy of my CARs.

2. Halfway through the first half, ball comes out from the defence and I turn to see where it's going when I hear a commotion behind me. Claims of an elbow in the face, but I see two players giving it handbags. Blow for a defensive free kick, have a word with the players - as I couldn't see it, I can't give it. I went in intending to pop both of them in the book for C1AA, but I decide to bring it down to a warning instead. FK is taken, I turn to face play and apparently there's a slap - again, I've not seen it and tell them to play on. In retrospect, that warning clearly didn't work! The manager for the home side speaks to me after the game and is a bit annoyed that I've not seen them, but offers some advice in a perfectly respectful manner, which I'm quite happy to take.

3. DFK for the team ahead 4-2. Just on the edge of the box, two players are tussling for position, when defender spins attacking player who falls to the floor. The ball in is nowhere near them, so I decide to use my discretion and ignore the situation - otherwise I would have HAD to give a penalty that I felt would have been a bit soft. The only player who seriously appealed was the lad who went down.

4. Penalty in the first ten minutes or so - when I blow it I think it's just outside the area, but as I get closer it seems that the foul was just inside the penalty area. I stick with the call and give the penalty, as I'm 85% it was correct, but there's always that little bit. Fortunately the players seemed fairly content with the decision, which makes me think I got it right.

So, on reflection? Not sure I've had a very good game to be honest - two moments that could have been game changing that I missed, and the penalty call I turned down I'm really not sure about. I've been thinking about it for a while now and I can't work out if I did a good job or not - I was getting into the right positions to judge most things and kept up with play well, but I'm going for promotion this season and I can't help feeling I need to do a little bit better. Any thoughts or advice?

Hope you all enjoyed your games today!

The Referee Store
Any thoughts or advice?

Just one of those games that we're happy no observer was there for! ;)

I wouldn't worry too much about self-reflecting like you are today. Personally, I'm always nitpicking on things even when I'm 99% spot on, it's fine to feel that way just don't let it dominate you so that you're never happy with any performance!

Regarding the slap/elbow, could you have kept these two players in view at all times? Could you separate them to different areas of the pitch? What I mean is, if you know it's the fullback and winger, you know for sure they're going to keep on feuding even if you've ticked them off. Therefore, for the freekick, ensure you take up a position that keeps them two in view and possibly, give them extra attention for a few moments. Whereas if it is two centrebacks, then you can kick one of them back into his half as it is a defensive free-kick and make sure they're nowhere near each other.

The ball in is nowhere near them, so I decide to use my discretion and ignore the situation - otherwise I would have HAD to give a penalty that I felt would have been a bit soft. The only player who seriously appealed was the lad who went down.

'Spins' him how? Was it a foul? Wouldn't the brave decision here be to give the penalty if so? Never mind the appeals, never mind where the ball is, never mind if it is soft, did you witness a foul? If so, why didn't you punish it? If it wasn't a foul, then good decision, play on.

'Spins' him how? Was it a foul? Wouldn't the brave decision here be to give the penalty if so? Never mind the appeals, never mind where the ball is, never mind if it is soft, did you witness a foul? If so, why didn't you punish it? If it wasn't a foul, then good decision, play on.

Two players tussling in the box, defender has a hand on his arm, attacker falls to the floor while turning - in retrospect it probably was a foul, penalty kick and yellow card. Just have to chalk that up to experience and do better next time. Fortunately the game wasn't close at all.

Back