A&H

Too Windy

RMref

Level 4 Referee
Morning,

I've got a Vase match this afternoon and its forecast to be about 35mph gusts of wind...

If the ball doesn't stay still for KO or free kicks etc, what's the plan? Would it be abandoned?

Its a 3g pitch as well which won't help

Cheers

The Referee Store
Morning,

I've got a Vase match this afternoon and its forecast to be about 35mph gusts of wind...

If the ball doesn't stay still for KO or free kicks etc, what's the plan? Would it be abandoned?

Cheers
Personally no. If its gale force and there's a danger to safety then thats different. Theres also the element of it becoming 'farcical'. But if both teams are wanting to play and there's no safety concerns then we're playing.

On 3g if the ball isn't stationary occasionally for set pieces then I'm not overly bothered. Its the same for both sides. Spirit of the game. Conditions not ideal but if everyone wants to play and there's no safety concerns with the wind then at grass roots lets crack on.

Edit: just seen that its a Vase game so that may change things. I suppose the term farcical may be applied a bit more rigoursly

Just give the players extra time to make sure the ball is stationary prior to restarts. If it's gusty, the wind will drop.

The wind would have to be incredibly strong for me to consider postponing / abandoning a game.

Yeap. Common sense should prevail. At most restarts there is always the options of one player keep it stationary with a foot untill just before the actual kick contact. The only real issue would be at penalty kicks. You with wait a little until you get a break in wind or use a little natural material on field (the 3G gravel) to hold it steady.

Had one today. Losing side saying "The keeper is taking too long, Ref!". I say. I am adding the time - he can't help the wind blowing the ball away.

I had a contrib game years ago where I was really worried about the wind, there was no way the ball would stay still and it was so windy it would have been a farce. Was out on the pitch an hour before kick off speaking to coaches and managers from both teams when part of the stand roof blew off and landed just beyond the touchline, I certainly didn't need to sell the postponement to anyone after that had happened ... :)

Had a game today where the Howling wind played NO part
That's because both teams had the ball on the ground playing passes to progress towards their opponents goal

I've seen a goal kick blown back into the goal of 2 occasions (both in Buxton, the highest town in England so the weather is always dreadful). Both times a goal was awarded and nobody knew any different. Our goalkeeper also threw the ball out of his hands when the wind was behind us because if he kicked it it just went blew through to the other keeper. There wasn't even a suggestion that it would be called off for high winds though, didn't cross anyones minds. I wonder if high winds being a consideration for refs at grass roots football to call a game off is a relatively new thing? I cant remember ever even hearing a conversation about calling a game off due to high winds when I played

I've seen a goal kick blown back into the goal of 2 occasions (both in Buxton, the highest town in England so the weather is always dreadful). Both times a goal was awarded and nobody knew any different. Our goalkeeper also threw the ball out of his hands when the wind was behind us because if he kicked it it just went blew through to the other keeper. There wasn't even a suggestion that it would be called off for high winds though, didn't cross anyones minds. I wonder if high winds being a consideration for refs at grass roots football to call a game off is a relatively new thing? I cant remember ever even hearing a conversation about calling a game off due to high winds when I played
I had a goal scored by a keeper from a goal kick today!! Assisted by the wind!

Morning,

Cheers

How did it go?

Funny the things you remember—I remember it being discussed at the first ref course I took, 40 years ago. Guidance was if the ball wont stay still for a kick, it’s too windy to play. But I can certainly see places where that is common saying the heck with that, we just want to play.

I had a goal scored by a keeper from a goal kick today!! Assisted by the wind!
I do hope it touched a 2nd person or disallowed/corner given...

A goal may be scored directly from a goal kick, but only against the opposing team; if the ball directly enters the kicker’s goal a corner kick is awarded to the opponents if the ball left the penalty area.

I do hope it touched a 2nd person or disallowed/corner given...

A goal may be scored directly from a goal kick, but only against the opposing team; if the ball directly enters the kicker’s goal a corner kick is awarded to the opponents if the ball left the penalty area.

I think you are thinking It was an own goal, it wasn't (it would have said 'own' if it was). I'm sure it was against an opponent and it MAY be scored directly.

I think you are thinking It was an own goal, it wasn't (it would have said 'own' if it was). I'm sure it was against an opponent and it MAY be scored directly.
Correct. I did have a chuckle to myself...

I had a contrib game years ago where I was really worried about the wind, there was no way the ball would stay still and it was so windy it would have been a farce. Was out on the pitch an hour before kick off speaking to coaches and managers from both teams when part of the stand roof blew off and landed just beyond the touchline, I certainly didn't need to sell the postponement to anyone after that had happened ... :)
I also had this, although the roof had already come down when I got there so the home team said “we’re not playing, are we!” “No!” “Ok, bye!”

I abandoned a county cup game because of high wind. The wind was really bad, (end to end) but when driving rain started the team kicking into it were getting shot blasted. They couldn’t see because you couldn’t look into the wind unless you shielded your eyes, and then they couldn’t run. When I blew and shouted “let’s go home” they all said “thank god for that!” and ran for the dressing room.
A mate on the pitch next door also called an end to it but his pitch was at 90 degrees to mine so it wasn’t as bad. He said he didn’t want to call it off, but then I did and then his players started asking to go home!

I also had this, although the roof had already come down when I got there so the home team said “we’re not playing, are we!” “No!” “Ok, bye!”

I abandoned a county cup game because of high wind. The wind was really bad, (end to end) but when driving rain started the team kicking into it were getting shot blasted. They couldn’t see because you couldn’t look into the wind unless you shielded your eyes, and then they couldn’t run. When I blew and shouted “let’s go home” they all said “thank god for that!” and ran for the dressing room.
A mate on the pitch next door also called an end to it but his pitch was at 90 degrees to mine so it wasn’t as bad. He said he didn’t want to call it off, but then I did and then his players started asking to go home!
Must be a southerner :)

Never too windy if the ball is kept where it is meant to be

ON THE GROUND

Had a game today where the Howling wind played NO part
That's because both teams had the ball on the ground playing passes to progress towards their opponents goal

That may well be your opinion of how football should be played mate, but for the rest of us the ball being in the air is as much a part of the game as any other - just like headers. ;)

That may well be your opinion of how football should be played mate, but for the rest of us the ball being in the air is as much a part of the game as any other - just like headers. ;)
Are opinions not what make informed debate or is that just me thinking outside the box, so to speak????????

Back