A&H

Top 3 ignored laws

Quarryref

Apologies if this has been done before.

Coming to the end of my first full season refereeing having also played and managed from semi pro to junior parks football (and watched a fair few games on the telly !).

I was musing on the top 3 laws (in frequency of related incident) that are never, or almost never, applied at any level of the game. Interestingly my top 3 all relate to goalkeepers, which incidentally is where I played :

1. GK makes a deliberate parry, usually in making a save, then picks it up. Should be IFK. Never seen it or had it given against me. Part of goalkeeping technique is the controlled parry where catching is too hard and no opposition player close enough to take advantage of a rebound. 100% ignored law in my experience

2. GK 6 second rule. Seen it threatened when it strays into blatant time wasting, but in most games keepers will routinely hold for well over 6 seconds without a murmur. I predict there would be chaos (for a while) if someone said we all have to start counting to 6 every time the keeper has it in his hands.

3. GK encroachment at penalties. Yes retakes when blatant, but even official advice on courses and from senior referees when I have run the line has been to allow a modest step off the line. I bet if you examined 10 penalty saves at least 8 would be technically illegal.

Can anyone think of a better top 3 candidate ? Anyone think it matters when we are asked to be pedantic on trivia like the wrong coloured tape on socks ?

The Referee Store
The referee is the final arbiter / decision maker in a match - for UEFA anyway.

'The decisions of the referee regarding facts connected with play.... are final...'

Shirt pulling in the box? So rare penalties or free kicks are given for it. Also dissent in the premier league (or other high league's) from players, also very rare. Along with throw in's and free kicks routinely being taken from the wrong place (especially in the defending half).

In the Hull Sunday League I would say one of the top three is definitely teams playing players who are not registered to that particular club. Teams don't provide opponents / officials with team sheets like other leagues do, we have an ID booklet which has all the registered players details on which teams can ask to see prior to kick off to check if they are all above board, registered and legit. Teams very very rarely ask their opponents to provide these ID booklets as it usual starts confrontation / arguments etc. If a team though are asked to provide their ID booklets for any of their squad and they cannot provide one that particular player cannot take part in the match.

I have always said goalies get way too much protection ! :)
... at which point I have to remove my referees ' cap and put my goalkeepers' union hat back on and suggest you try coming for a cross or going down to block in a one on one when you have to have your eyes on the ball and take it at full stretch and the big ugly centre forward can take an entirely different approach ! Like most keepers who have played for any length of time I have an interesting array of comically rearranged ribs that bear testament to the outcome of those contests where the worst the ugly bloke ever gets is a YC and a free kick against him in an unthreatening position, usually accompanied by a bleat that 'the ball was there to be won'

.. rant over

Shirt pulling in the box? So rare penalties or free kicks are given for it. Also dissent in the premier league (or other high league's) from players, also very rare. Along with throw in's and free kicks routinely being taken from the wrong place (especially in the defending half).
All good examples of laws often not applied. My point was about rules never or almost never applied at any level - the GK parrying one being an example of something I have never seen given in any match

... at which point I have to remove my referees ' cap and put my goalkeepers' union hat back on and suggest you try coming for a cross or going down to block in a one on one when you have to have your eyes on the ball and take it at full stretch and the big ugly centre forward can take an entirely different approach ! Like most keepers who have played for any length of time I have an interesting array of comically rearranged ribs that bear testament to the outcome of those contests where the worst the ugly bloke ever gets is a YC and a free kick against him in an unthreatening position, usually accompanied by a bleat that 'the ball was there to be won'

.. rant over
**** ............that was sctually a joking reference to the 3 points in the original post ...all in the GKs favour ;) Im not even going to mention keeprrs coming out for the with thier knees and or studs 5 ft in the air ! Wouldnt dream of it :D

Last edited by a moderator:
All good examples of laws often not applied. My point was about rules never or almost never applied at any level - the GK parrying one being an example of something I have never seen given in any match

It happened in england v san marino last october :rolleyes:

I have given it twice. Causes about as much havoc as having a penalty retake when the keeper comes off his line :D

Apologies if this has been done before.

Coming to the end of my first full season refereeing having also played and managed from semi pro to junior parks football (and watched a fair few games on the telly !).

I was musing on the top 3 laws (in frequency of related incident) that are never, or almost never, applied at any level of the game. Interestingly my top 3 all relate to goalkeepers, which incidentally is where I played :

1. GK makes a deliberate parry, usually in making a save, then picks it up. Should be IFK. Never seen it or had it given against me. Part of goalkeeping technique is the controlled parry where catching is too hard and no opposition player close enough to take advantage of a rebound. 100% ignored law in my experience
Not entirely. GKs are allowed to pick the ball up after a parry / save, only after controlled play can they not pick it up. E.g. have it in their hands, drop it dribble around, then pick it up.

2. GK 6 second rule. Seen it threatened when it strays into blatant time wasting, but in most games keepers will routinely hold for well over 6 seconds without a murmur. I predict there would be chaos (for a while) if someone said we all have to start counting to 6 every time the keeper has it in his hands.
True. Although most referees give plenty of proactive warning. It is also a good time to get into position, i.e. credible side on view to the drop zone

3. GK encroachment at penalties. Yes retakes when blatant, but even official advice on courses and from senior referees when I have run the line has been to allow a modest step off the line. I bet if you examined 10 penalty saves at least 8 would be technically illegal.
Again true. But we go along the lines of no surprises, 9/10 out of a time, retaking for GK encroachment is a surprise, unless of course they are on the 6 yard line (the 1/10)

Can anyone think of a better top 3 candidate ? Anyone think it matters when we are asked to be pedantic on trivia like the wrong coloured tape on socks ?
I'm always pedantic about sock tape, apart from pre-season friendlies.
Other candidates? Well based on some referees I assess = pre-match inspections, field of play checks, player dissent, signalling, the list goes on!

Quarry, I reckon your list is more or less spot on - these are the ones which are ALMOST NEVER applied. Unlike Padfoot's list which are probably the critical ones which should be applied more frequently .. different but at least as important!

However, IMO, you raise an important point .. for as long as we have some Laws which are routinely ignored / bent, it gives licence to all the referees up and down the country to pick and choose others that they would 'rather not apply'. Far better to cut these three out or change them in some way, so that we only have Laws that we can all feel good about applying ...

Not entirely. GKs are allowed to pick the ball up after a parry / save, only after controlled play can they not pick it up. E.g. have it in their hands, drop it dribble around, then pick it up.
Eh... not quite.

A GK can parry the ball down and pick it up immediately.

A GK cannot parry the ball down, dribble it around, then pick it up.
A GK cannot parry the ball down, pick his/her nose, wait until the opponent is really close, then pick it up.

Do most referees allow this anyway? Yup.

A goal keeper is not allowed to parry the ball down and pick it up. He is considered to have had possession of the ball and hence there is an infringement.

However, the keeper is allowed to pick up the ball if he loses control of the ball accidentally as part of a save.

Or something like that.

1.The kick off - player who is receiving pass stood in opponents half and or ball played sideways or backwards instead of forwards.
2.opponents moving to stand in front of ball to prevent quick free kick.
3. at penalties encroachment into penalty box frequently ignored.

Back