A&H

Tottenham vs Juventus

Mooseybaby

Retired big bad baldy in all black!
Looking good for Tottenham, leading 1-0 @ half time. Although Juventus should have been awarded an early penalty.

Referee, AR & AAR all appeared to have a good view of Vertonghen's sliding challenge, no contact with the ball, but took plenty of the man. Was right in front of UEFA's statue behind the goal line, yet nothing given. :confused:

The Referee Store
Of course it was a PK, but I'd argue the "plenty of the man" part. There was minor contact on the left foot of Sandro.

Unless it was Dele Alli or Harry Kane. Then it was a dive.

It was a blatant, blatant penalty, how all three have missed it is a mystery. A pity as the officials were superb aside from this.

Have to feel sorry for Spurs, but what a performance by Juventus. Chiellini, can't really run, getting on in years, undoubtedly a dirty bar steward, but what a defensive performance, just doesn't get any better than that.

You would have to imagine that officials in a game of this magnitude probably think all week leading Upto the game I will not give a pen, I will not give a pen, I will not give a pen...

Unless someone is karate kicked in the head I’m not giving a pen..

At the time, it made me wonder... "AAR or VAR?!" It was right on top of the AAR, yet no call. A _quick_ referral to a VAR and all would have been sorted. So on the basis that VAR is looking likely to get the go-ahead, are we going to see AAR's dropped?

At the time, it made me wonder... "AAR or VAR?!" It was right on top of the AAR, yet no call. A _quick_ referral to a VAR and all would have been sorted. So on the basis that VAR is looking likely to get the go-ahead, are we going to see AAR's dropped?
I havn't seen it but from the description here it's possible while in many opinions it was an error, it was not a clearly wrong decision. So possibly no review.

Last edited:
I havn't seen it but from the description here it's possible while in many opinions it was an error, it was not a clearly wrong decision. So possibly no review.
The Ref's view was blocked, and was reliant upon NAR and AAR. In real-time, tough to call, so yes - perhaps no clear error. BUT, that's under the guidance/implementation of VAR today. If instead we had an implementation that allowed each team one or two challenges in a match, this scenario would likely have been one "challenged", and the pen given after a VAR review.

Vertongens right knee made contact to the left heel on Sandro. From the referees position, it probably looks like a dive. From the AAR, he probably struggles to make out the slight contact. The best view of it was from the back right (touchline towards midfield), where of course none of the three referees were at.

It was clear enough to me, and Vertongen knew exactly what'd he'd done looking at his reaction. Missed the ball by a county mile and clipped the forward, at least one of the three officials has got to see that.

Reactions: one
Not in UEFA competitions, not for now anyway. UEFA have said they will not be introducing VAR, at least not in the immediate future.
You would have to imagine that officials in a game of this magnitude probably think all week leading Upto the game I will not give a pen, I will not give a pen, I will not give a pen...
No, you would not have to imagine that. I don't think that any competent referee would ever go into a game with that attitude. And these are more than competent referees.

Back