A&H

tournament fees - youth level.

Kent Ref

RefChat Addict
I was approached to ref a tournament where most of the other refs were 20 or below.

£30 fee was offered - no food or drink either. That's the normal match fee for youth in my area.

It was a tournament to raise funds for the club. Last time out they made nearly a 10k PROFIT.

Was i wrong to decline? I understand the principle of charity but there are limits. £4.29 an hour?

The Referee Store
Depends, I've done all day charity tournaments for food and drink.

I run a 3 hour charity tournament where I pay refs (who are mates) 20 quid.

All depends on you at the end of the day.

Hi, it seems that youth tournaments pay around £40 to £45 for the day some will offer food and drink ,but its usually a long old day so tend to be more popular with younger youth Referees than us old farts!!

Supply and demand, if they can pay £30 and get enough officials then they are good, if they can't they'll have to offer more.

b
Yes I guess so.

Up to each individual at the end of the day.

Absolutely, individual choice, no one is forced into refereeing it. On a similar subject there was much disdain on Ref Support UK that London FA were advertising an RDO role that only paid £25,000 per week. Whilst I agree that is fairly low for London, although still well above the London living wage, there will be no shortage of applicants. Again, as I said earlier, supply and demand.

Same applies to leagues, friendlies and other competitions. Will vary - not wildly, but comparisons will always highlight certain anomalies, as we've discussed on here previously.

b

Absolutely, individual choice, no one is forced into refereeing it. On a similar subject there was much disdain on Ref Support UK that London FA were advertising an RDO role that only paid £25,000 per week. Whilst I agree that is fairly low for London, although still well above the London living wage, there will be no shortage of applicants. Again, as I said earlier, supply and demand.

Presuming you meant £25,000 per year. If not, where do I sign up?

The tournament fee thing comes round every year.
For me, if you're happy with the fee, do it. If not find the work somewhere else e.g pre seasons / other tournaments.

Thanks for the replies.

I would say we are "worth" £10 an hour.

Especially when £10,000 profit was made last time.

Thanks for the replies.

I would say we are "worth" £10 an hour.

Especially when £10,000 profit was made last time.

Again, market forces. We, or you, are worth what people are willing to pay. If they can get enough referees at £30 those market forces are met.

I've always viewed pre-season stuff like Friendlies and youth tournaments as a means of keeping my hand in during a 2-3 month lull in matches. I do them for myself. If there's there's any sort of payment for it, it's an added bonus. 🙂

Back