A&H

Trial by Video

Is this the way forward or a step backward?

• Yes

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Referee Store
The beginning of the end. Football will become a junk game for advertisers like every American 'sport'. We will start with a tight list of circumstances, then more will be added, then challenges by managers , the timeouts and before long add breaks, 4 quarters
But I am a fatalist by nature

The beginning of the end. Football will become a junk game for advertisers like every American 'sport'. We will start with a tight list of circumstances, then more will be added, then challenges by managers , the timeouts and before long add breaks, 4 quarters
But I am a fatalist by nature
I would tend to agree with you as Sky/BT turn it more into a business than a sport they will place heavier demands and need to generate the revenue from somewhere...quick PG Tips commercial whilst an injury assessment s carried out..no more replays just a five sec car ad...the joys!

I don't think we can ignore the concept of video technology as it is widely used and accepted in other sports but I see a lot of practical difficulties in applying it to football. I'm not a fan of sin bins either.

@OIREF! I have to say I like the idea of a sin bin....ten mins to calm a slabber down with a yellow card knowing next time he won't be coming back on? Will stop all the stroppy adults on a Saturday (except premier league of course they have their own LOTG)! :angel:

I think we can totally ignore video evidence during a game. We have post match analysis for missed discipline and I would welcome it if refs were given the opportunity to refer decisions on discipline/misconduct for later review (as they do in both forms of egg chasing). We have a workable non invasive goal line system. So no, I don't want in play video technology.

I have to say I like the idea of a sin bin....ten mins to calm a slabber down with a yellow card knowing next time he won't be coming back on? Will stop all the stroppy adults on a Saturday (except premier league of course they have their own LOTG)! :angel:
I quite like the concept but at my level (amateur and youth) I see it being difficult for the referee on his own to manage. Quite conceivable you have 2-3 players in the bin at any one time and it would be difficult to manage the timings for each. You can be sure that coaches and players watches will be running an bit faster than your own!

thanks for posting @AlexF, very interesting.

I can see it being initially very flimsy as players / refs get used to the process but over time it will become more seamless and less invasive.

I've always thought technology would be good but never thought there could be a good way to implement it without impacting the flow of the game. This might work.

thanks for posting @AlexF, very interesting.

I can see it being initially very flimsy as players / refs get used to the process but over time it will become more seamless and less invasive.

I've always thought technology would be good but never thought there could be a good way to implement it without impacting the flow of the game. This might work.

Similar views to you, except for your last line, everything in that points to the "flow of the game" being affected very much IMHO!

I think it could work, but it would need to be tightly controlled, and we'd need to hope that IFAB don't let the reasons it's used to gradually grow.

Not sure how I feel about the ref having to run over to someone at the edge of the pitch with a monitor though.
sure speaking to a TMO or similar would be no different to getting advice from an AR on an incident you didn't see, but, as referee comms in football aren't broadcast the same way that they are in rugby I guess there'd be no way to ensure that they weren't giving the referee advice on incidents without being asked.

So to sum up, I think it would be silly to dismiss it out of hand and we should test the process before a decision is made, and, like goal line technology we'd probably only see it in the Premiership over here any way.

The question, "Is this the way forward or a step backward? " can not be answered "yes" or "no". Either the question or the response options need to be changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back