A&H

Triple save and...

The Referee Store
I’d be fine with that as it’s come from a save (if we’re talking about the header)

It's USB and an IDFK for circumventing the Law
Here's the controversial bit... I'd only consider calling it if the opposition fiercely protested, which is quite unlikely
'football expects', 'spirit of the law' and 'all that'

There's no trick there, just as there wouldn't have been had he knelt down and played it with his knee.

Trick really means flicking it up and then heading it back. Don't look for problems that don't exist would be my advice.

It's USB and an IDFK for circumventing the Law
Here's the controversial bit... I'd only consider calling it if the opposition fiercely protested, which is quite unlikely
'football expects', 'spirit of the law' and 'all that'

He's headed a ball in open play. If this is circumventing the laws, every header back to the keeper is.

IMHO this does not reach the threshold for trickery (which is ill defined and therefore inherently subjective).

(I will note that old no-longer published USSF guidance indicated that getting down like this should be considered trickery. Personally, I think it would be simpler to get rid of trickery and kicking--just make it any deliberate play to the GK. But that is not the law today--I've got no call if this happens in my game.)

He's headed a ball in open play. If this is circumventing the laws, every header back to the keeper is.

No, a line could be drawn. The sole reason he used his head (or would have used his knee) was to get around the fact that he couldn't use his foot. A line could be made around unnatural plays like this. But I don't think it needs to be I'm not calling it either until someone in authority says I have to in currently valid advice, but the folks who think it should be called aren't crazy.

Don't look for problems that don't exist
Which is pretty much what I said
There's very little chance of anyone batting an eyelid, so crack on. But I do think the defender is taking a chance (based on dictionary interpretation and not privileged teachings)

There's no comparison between
a) lying down to head a ball (instead of kicking) so that a GK can handle it
and
b) heading a ball in the normal fashion
As I prefer the path of least resistance, I'm turning my back on this incident. But, if the opposition stuck the rule book under my nose on the appropriate page, I'd understand why
I would add that there are definitely circumstances in which lying down to head the ball back to the GK is circumvention. The difference with the OP, is that the header back is part of a very dynamic play involving goal keeping heroics etc

Last edited:
You wouldn't punish a player for getting on his knees to chest it back, so why would you punish this?

The scenario I would punish this is if the defender has control of the ball, sees an attacker coming and decides to lay down and nod it back. In this instance he doesn't even gain control of the ball.

Stop looking for things that aren't there, look for the things that are there and you won't go far wrong!!!

Reactions: JH
Back