A&H

TUN vs FRA Matchday 10 - Conger (NZL)

I believe VAR handbook says that in principle a result isn't invalid because of an error in VAR protocol, such as reviewing a non-reviewable incident Although I suppose it could be argued this is more a LOTG issue as decision was changed after restart? Let's see what FIFA do.

I believe VAR handbook says in principle a result is not

I believe VAR handbook says in principle a result is not invalid because of error in protocol, such as a review of non-reviewable incident. Although I suppose this might be considered more of a LOTG issue as decision has changed after restart? Let's see what FIFA do.
Heh makes as much sense as the VAR handbook 😅

The Referee Store
I can't find the official IFAB statement on this but experience has shown that VAR can be used for game-changing incidents that occurred before the final whistle sounded, even if the referee is not informed till after the whistle had already gone.

There have been a number of such occurrences - it happened at the end of a Brighton vs Man United game in the 2020-21 season and in a Champions League game between Atletico Madrid and Bayer Leverkusen in January this year.

Atletico Madrid miss penalty awarded after the final whistle following VAR check
Found something on this in the "Final" VAR protocol document that was issued shortly before the system came into full implementation and a much, much abbreviated version of the full protocol was included in the Laws of the Game document.

The referee blows for half-time or full-time and the VAR then communicates that a potential clear error/serious missed incident has occurred before the whistle to end the half – can the referee review the incident?

The VAR is like an assistant referee - if an assistant referee is indicating an offence which occurred before the referee blew the whistle, the referee can still take action as long as the referee has not left the field of play.

If this situation occurs,the VAR should immediately tell the referee who can inform the players and stop them leaving the field of play. The incident should then be dealt with according to the normal VAR procedures (check, review etc.).

Last edited:
I can't find the official IFAB statement on this but experience has shown that VAR can be used for game-changing incidents that occurred before the final whistle sounded, even if the referee is not informed till after the whistle had already gone.

There have been a number of such occurrences - it happened at the end of a Brighton vs Man United game in the 2020-21 season and in a Champions League game between Atletico Madrid and Bayer Leverkusen in January this year.

Atletico Madrid miss penalty awarded after the final whistle following VAR check

Found something on this in the "Final" VAR protocol document that was issued shortly before the system came into full implementation and a much, much abbreviated version of the full protocol was included in the Laws of the Game document.
@Peter Grove the review would have been ok if there were no restarts between the incident and the fulltime whistle. In this case, there was offside (which I don't agree with), then a goal, then kick off, then the full time whistle.The fact that full time was blown only a short time after kick off is irrelevant.

In other words review after full time is ok, but review after restart is not ok which is what happened here (full time just confuses the matter).

Last edited:
@Peter Grove the review would have been ok if there were no restarts between the incident and the fulltime whistle. In this case, there was offside (which I don't agree with), then a goal, then kick off, then the full time whistle.The fact that full time was blown only a short time after kick off is irrelevant.

In other words review after full time is ok, but review after restart is not ok which is what happened here (full time just confuses the matter).
Many of VARs issues would be non-issues if it were a challenge-based system.

Many of VARs issues would be non-issues if it were a challenge-based system.
True that some existing issues will be fixed but we will have new ones.

The whole purpose of having referees and VAR on top of it is to have a fair game and achieve correct outcomes. In a challenge based system, IMO we will end up with cases we all know we have the wrong outcome but there are no challenges left.

I don't think there are too many problems with the current system. The problem is with when and how it is applied.

True that some existing issues will be fixed but we will have new ones.

The whole purpose of having referees and VAR on top of it is to have a fair game and achieve correct outcomes. In a challenge based system, IMO we will end up with cases we all know we have the wrong outcome but there are no challenges left.

I don't think there are too many problems with the current system. The problem is with when and how it is applied.
The current system works only if the people using it are competent. That's why the best systems in the world allow for incompetent users. Human error is normal and needs to be accounted for.

Reactions: one
A bit random, but a challenge system could be a bit of going back to the past. The original referees only made decisions when the captains couldn’t agree and they referred the decision to the referee (which is here the name came from). That said, I’m not persuaded that soccer is well suited to a challenge model. But I wouldn’t be horrified to see an experiment with it to see how it worked.

Reactions: one
Back