A&H

Two things

dbo5ton

Level 4 Referee
Chaps and chappesses

Bit of a query and would like some input.

Foul on blue 4 hes adamant that the guy should be walking as it would be his second yellow, his team mates drag him away as they understand ive acknowledged the foul and given the FK. He then turns and calls me a "**** c**t". red for me.

After the game was speaking to a senior ref who was watching and said that it was frustration and seemed harsh. I personally will not be called two things on a FOP, a cheat and a Jeremy hunt.

Thoughts please

The Referee Store
any player who uses the c word, and i mean cheat should see a red card. very poor advice from a senior referee very poor

He never called me a cheat, he called me the other. I was saying those are the two things I don't accept

He never called me a cheat, he called me the other. I was saying those are the two things I don't accept

Is it offensive? Yes tick so you are fully justified to show him the red if by law. Some might disagree here but the offensive interpretation can vary between refs, so if you deemed it offensive at the time he walks. But yes I'd do the same thing as well.

Is it offensive? Yes tick so you are fully justified to show him the red if by law. Some might disagree here but the offensive interpretation can vary between refs, so if you deemed it offensive at the time he walks. But yes I'd do the same thing as well.

might i add i personally don't think that C**t can be interpreted as anything but offensive!

The thing is he did the typical player thing and turned away and said it. Didn't have the gonads to say it to my face. As far as I was concerned it was directed at me

any player who uses the c word, and i mean cheat should see a red card. very poor advice from a senior referee very poor
Couldn't agree more. I think advice like this contributes to spreading of referee abuse that is becoming a plague.

The thing is he did the typical player thing and turned away and said it. Didn't have the gonads to say it to my face. As far as I was concerned it was directed at me
Make sure if you say in your report it was directed at you while he was facing the other way, include why you think it was directed at you. Either way it's a red for OFFINABUS.

I would also ask the watching referee if he accepts that kinda language on his park. If he does, then no matter his ability, I can assure you that you are more worthy of wearing that badge than they are
Am no prude and i can dish it out but I cant see how any expereinced referee would have problems with your tolerance level there.

After the game was speaking to a senior ref who was watching and said that it was frustration and seemed harsh. I personally will not be called two things on a FOP, a cheat and a Jeremy hunt.

We all have different tolerance levels but I reckon 99% of referees would find that unacceptable and be issuing a red card. In fact I think the majority of players would expect to walk if they used that kind of language. It's a disappointing comment from your senior colleague.

Am only second guessing that the other ref was suggesting that you pretend you have not heard it, or, you can make some kind of excuse for it. As observer and referee there has been times where you hear something and, right or wrong, you do make excuses for it.
But if you need to follow through with the ultimate sanction then I dont think you can be critised.

RC all day long. Dont care whether he was frustrated with another player, a call or a no-call. This is not acceptable and failing to address it will erode game control

Teams and players need educating, the two biggest most common things to come out of a players mouth in the heat of the moment are Cheat & James Hunt.

The two biggest most common words you could say to get yourself sent off are those two words.

So managers need to have a very strong word with players before the season before a game in training via social media in a group chat whatever it takes & make it clear that say anything in anger other than those two words & you may have half a chance of staying on the field.

My captain was sent off last game of the season I played the other week for calling the ref a cheating James hunt, I just looked at the sky & muttered to myself ffs off you go.

Fortunately I haven’t been on the receiving end of either word whilst in the middle, will be interesting how I take it if it ever does arise.

I have a sneaky feeling they won't listen :yawn:

It’s just ridiculous that week in week out players say basicly the same two things on the field that a ref has little choice but to send you off for.

It’s braindead on clubs and players part, surely teams should discuss this especially if they have repeat offenders and have lost games through it.

You can’t say that word in any context and it not be OFFINABUS on a football pitch!

Question for you (and others)

If a player walks by and says rather loudly to another play 'effing t**t', would you yank aside and send him off for OFFINABUS?

I guess what I'm really asking is where do you draw the line at letting foul language go, if at all?

It’s just ridiculous that week in week out players say basicly the same two things on the field that a ref has little choice but to send you off for.

It’s braindead on clubs and players part, surely teams should discuss this especially if they have repeat offenders and have lost games through it.
I fell foul to the odd indiscretion as a player. In many cases, it's a rush of blood which gets the player sent off; which can be forgiven. Some players are a serial offenders however and some are just idiots
I guess what I'm really asking is where do you draw the line at letting foul language go, if at all?
Hard to answer in written word. I've let some things go, including the C word. The criteria being a) it being muttered or muted b) it not being obviously directed at anyone individual c) it being a very brief skeppy
Lately however, I've also reached for the red card without hesitation, when the above criteria are not met

Back