A&H

Two yellow cards in the same phase of play?

Edward

An interesting scenario arose in an U14 match today and I'm not sure if I dealt with it correctly.

Blue player is just beyond the half-way line attacking the yellow goal, which looks to be a very promising attack. Yellow player clearly grabs hold of his shirt and attempts to pull him down. As I go to blow for the free kick the blue player breaks free and continues his attack. I note the offence, play advantage and intend to caution the yellow player at the next stoppage in play. However, with around 25 yards until the blue player reaches the opposing goal, the same yellow player then goes to ground and clearly catches the feet of the blue player. Another foul and another yellow card offence, but again the blue player stays on his feet and I play advantage once again. Blue player continues on into the penalty area and shoots, but misses.

Before the goal kick is taken, I cautioned the yellow player for the first offence (shirt pull) but should I have shown him two yellows, one for each offence committed, despite them both coming in the same phase of play? I know that Chris Baird of Northern Ireland was sent off in a similar incident during the Euro Qualifiers so there is a precedent, but is it the right call?

Link to the Chris Baird incident for those that haven't seen it. -

The Referee Store
I think that you don't want to do this unless you feel that both yellows absolutely have to be given. It's unfortunate that the expectation is more towards 'managing' the game (whatever that means) rather than holding the player accountable for 2 cautionable offences. So the option is there, but I think don't use it unless you absolutely have to.

And I do think it's worth taking the age and grade into consideration.

@Edward - At the level you are at, the second yellow afterwards would wrong. While the first Adv and delayed caution is completely correct. The moment of the second offence, you should have awarded the free-kick is you were going to issue the second yellow. However, while you may be strictly correct in law your match control would be totaled. You cannot allow two adv to apply with 2 potential cautions.

From the LOTG
The referee may play advantage whenever an infringement or offence occurs.
The referee should consider the following circumstances in deciding whether to apply the advantage or stop play:
• the severity of the offence: if the infringement warrants an expulsion, the referee must stop play and send off the player unless there is a subsequent opportunity to score a goal

On if the second challenge was a straight red, would you be on safe ground in doing what you describe.

I'm a little confused here @lincs22. You say that
At the level you are at, the second yellow afterwards would wrong

@lincs22 You're saying that I cannot allow the 2nd advantage as in law I should stop play and caution the player twice. However the law you've quoted clearly states that even when play can be stopped to send someone off, advantage should be played if there is an opportunity to score a goal, which in this case there was.

Does that not mean that at least my decision to play the second advantage was a good one? The only mistake I made was not then giving the player 2 cautions thereafter?

*mod edit* the edit function! Yay it's awesome!

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're playing advantage, then you cannot caution the player for breaking up a promising attack/preventing opponent from gaining an advantageous position by holding, because by playing advantage you're saying that there is still a promising attack. Advantage well played, second foul occurs, one caution only.

If however, there was a reckless challenge, you play advantage and are going to come back for the caution at the next stoppage, then he commits another offence worthy of a caution, then by all means you caution him for both offences then send him off. (Which is what happened in the video)

I'm a little confused here @lincs22. You say that

@lincs22 You're saying that I cannot allow the 2nd advantage as in law I should stop play and caution the player twice. However the law you've quoted clearly states that even when play can be stopped to send someone off, advantage should be played if there is an opportunity to score a goal, which in this case there was.

Does that not mean that at least my decision to play the second advantage was a good one? The only mistake I made was not then giving the player 2 cautions thereafter?

*mod edit* the edit function! Yay it's awesome!

Falls into this category

I think there is also the responsibility to communicate with the player.

In the Baird example, the referee does not seem to signal advantage, and I presume he has not shouted (or could not) to tell Baird he will go in the book. I think not signalling the advantage is a mistake there and that is a good excuse to complain and will lead to loss of match control.

In your case, if you signalled advantage and verbally told the player they will be cautioned, I think it is an easy sell to give the second yellow, and it is correct by the laws...

Unless there's a practically guaranteed goal, if I'm going to issue a red card then play is been stopped immediately. You've stated that the 2nd offence occurred 25 yards away from goal, if this was the case then play should be stopped if it's a second cautionable offence and the second caution and subsequent dismissal issued. Of course, if you feel you can manage it, play the second advantage by all means, but if you're intending to dismiss a player you should not be doing that.

I'm not aware of anything in the Laws that suggests you shouldn't issue a second yellow card if two cautionable offences occur close together. As for them being in the "same phase of play" I can't see how an expression and a concept that does not exist anywhere in the Laws of the Game can have a bearing on a referee's decision

If a player commits two cautionable offences, he should receive two cautions. It shouldn't matter if they're 30 seconds or 30 minutes apart. IMHO the example given of the Chris Baird incident, shows the correct way to handle it.

Back