A&H

U12 standards

Status
Not open for further replies.

SammyT5

Level 7 Referee
I qualified last year as a referee, but due to the current situation I’ve not necessarily done many games. I’ve done a few very easy U8 and U9 5 v 5 games, alongside a few school friendlies. Anyway, this weekend I’m refereeing an U12 league game, 9 v 9 (obviously). I just wondered what standard of refereeing will be expected. Should I go easy on the bookings? Pass over a few slightly reckless challenges and just award the free kick instead of a caution? Or will I be expected to treat them like adults? The league I’m refereeing in does have specified fines etc for cautions and red cards, so I can assume there must be some.

Last edited:
The Referee Store
i found that back in the day when I started refereeing, the younger the player, the more the referee needed to be an educator as to the laws of the game. I'd Be interested to find out if this is still the case.
I found The younger the player, the more talking the referee needed to do

My take is to have the same respect and general attitude whatever age.

But you are really asking if you should bend the rules... with reckless tackles you must absolutely use your cards!

The areas I think it’s common sense to bend are throw in technique - ”try to keep both feet on the ground next time or I have to reverse it”, and your tolerance for SPA/Dogso should be significantly adjusted by the size of the field. You can also treat each hand ball decision on merit.

But whatever you do tell the players... foul, no foul, tell them, and the coaches can hear.

And if you get close to the problem players, let them know you are in the game ”watch the hands” ”try and play the ball” ...if you communicate with players of any age you will get far less reckless and far less hassle from coaches etc. ;)

Reactions: one
In my experience (in the US), 12s can run a gamut. Most of the time, you don't see reckless challenges, meaningful dissent, or general USB. So in most games you won't need the cards--at least with the players. But the danger is to be lulled into complacency so that you aren't ready if it happens. If you haven't already, you might consider going and watching a 12 game to have the feel for what it looks like.

Skill level is important to remember at this age. Most fouls will be careless rather than reckless - often as a result of mistiming. Differences in skill between players are more obvious. There may be one or two who can take on and beat several players while others can’t get close to them.

Don’t prejudge it or worry too much. If you see the fouls give them straight away. There aren’t often many complaints from the players. They’ll take it and get on with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back