A&H

UEFA 3

PinnerPaul

RefChat Addict
I quite enjoyed the first two but this one, more than ever, was a complete 'fluff' piece I thought.

Quite enjoyed seeing inside some of the VERY smart homes of the referees - they made poor old Anthony Taylor's perfectly nice and respectable home look tiny!

Editorially it was all over the place - heard from AT about how strange it was contemplating his first ever behind closed doors CL match - showed highlights of the match with some twinkly piano music and then....nothing - didn't actually hear anything more from Mr T on what it WAS actually like operating in an empty stadium.

Still as I say some of the referees DID have very nice homes!!!!! :p

Reactions: ARF
The Referee Store
I think some of the referees have full-time jobs that not only provide significant income, but also give the referees the time and location independence needed to referee at the highest level.

For example, I believe Kuipers owns several franchises of a well-known Dutch supermarket and some other type of business. Brych is some sort of financial planning person if I recall correctly (I remember that his "doctorate" - which is not necessarily a PH D type degree as one in the United States might think of it - is in finance. Jonas Eriksson sold his share in a business for something like 7 million USD, and he stated several times that he refereed because he enjoyed it and not for any sort of financial benefit. I'm almost positive Collina was a financial planner (which would have meant he could do his work anywhere he had a phone and a computer, even in the early 2000s when the Internet wasn't as ubiquitous as it is today).

I know many referees are now full-time officials, but I would imagine that if they were so inclined they could still have some sort of outside business venture as long as it was a not a conflict of interest with their officiating duties.

I think some of the referees have full-time jobs that not only provide significant income, but also give the referees the time and location independence needed to referee at the highest level.

For example, I believe Kuipers owns several franchises of a well-known Dutch supermarket and some other type of business. Brych is some sort of financial planning person if I recall correctly (I remember that his "doctorate" - which is not necessarily a PH D type degree as one in the United States might think of it - is in finance. Jonas Eriksson sold his share in a business for something like 7 million USD, and he stated several times that he refereed because he enjoyed it and not for any sort of financial benefit. I'm almost positive Collina was a financial planner (which would have meant he could do his work anywhere he had a phone and a computer, even in the early 2000s when the Internet wasn't as ubiquitous as it is today).

I know many referees are now full-time officials, but I would imagine that if they were so inclined they could still have some sort of outside business venture as long as it was a not a conflict of interest with their officiating duties.
Brych is a lawyer. According to Wikipedia

Back