U12 foul throw - allow retake?

• Yes

Votes: 21 75.0%
  • No

Votes: 7 25.0%

• Total voters

cooperd5

Level 7 Referee
Funny one, losing coach was complaining I wasn't correct in allowing a retake of a foul throw. U12s, both teams guilty of it.
What's the verdict?😁

The Referee Store
I ref U12s more than I ref most age groups. Below that, retake. Above, don't. U12s, I think the best practice is to allow the first one to retake but make it clear that is the only one.

I ref U12s more than I ref most age groups. Below that, retake. Above, don't. U12s, I think the best practice is to allow the first one to retake but make it clear that is the only one.
When I used to do anything at U12 or below I would allow one retake. I would also stipulate that it should also be the same player doing the retake.

For U12 at half time I would go to both teams and say "you know the standard for throw in now, and I know you can do it. Second half there's only one chance and if it is foul then it gets turned over."

It never failed to amaze me how in the course of a game their throw ins improved.

When I used to do anything at U12 or below I would allow one retake. I would also stipulate that it should also be the same player doing the retake.

For U12 at half time I would go to both teams and say "you know the standard for throw in now, and I know you can do it. Second half there's only one chance and if it is foul then it gets turned over."

It never failed to amaze me how in the course of a game their throw ins improved.
I have to be honest, the standard of throw ins has, in my experience, improved significantly. When I used to play there were a fair few every game. As a ref, same league, I think the most I've had to give was 3 or 4 in an U9's match. I agree with one retake, but below U12s I give every player the chance to develop, rather than one retake per team.

If the youth game is 11 v 11 no second go.

9 v 9 and below negotiate with the managers before the game.

negotiate with the managers before the game
This is a big point that I forgot to mention. I said to a manager before a cup game at the start of the season that I would give the players one chance. He said something along the lines of no chances, they need to learn at this age. So that was what I went with.

I always tend to give each teams at youth level one free hit. Tell them to retake and tell them what they did wrong. In my opinion, giving them the what you did wrong bit it the more important bit. But next foul throw for that team goes the other way from there on.

I always tend to give each teams at youth level one free hit. Tell them to retake and tell them what they did wrong. In my opinion, giving them the what you did wrong bit it the more important bit. But next foul throw for that team goes the other way from there on.
Telling them what they did wrong is 100% the more important bit. Otherwise they may just change one of the things they did right.

This is one where a bit of pre-game management could be useful.

You know there is an aspect of the game you aren't going to follow to the letter of the law (foul throws). So at the start when you say hi to both managers. Mention it. You'll probably find 99% of managers will be up for allowing the retake of a throw. If they are against it, explain to them that you will be doing it anyway but will be consistent and fair to both sides.

The problem is when they have some skin in the game (once they see the opposition do a foul throw). They'll do absolutely anything to undermine you, at that point logic and reason doesn't matter, it is already too late.

I do this in my OA games, if the centre circle is ruined by mud or some of the pitch is crap (surface water etc). I explain to gaffer and captains at the start that if a part of the pitch is terrible I will allow them to laterally moves the ball out of it for set pieces, but to ask me first. Just anticipating the inevitable moment when a player sees the opposition move the ball out of a bog and starts screaming about it, only to have the player rocket it top bag straight after. No coming back from that.

Cheers that's good advice. I don't do a lot of U18 really but it's the first time this has been challenged and setting the time pre-game is a great idea.

Back