A&H

Under 18s/Adults. What is the difference?

Jack M

Level 6 Referee
Before anyone has any smart ass remarks. Let me explain.
I am 17 and referee adult football as well as youth football. Been given my first U18 game this Sunday. I just wantes to check if there were any real difference between U18 football and adult football?

Thanks in advance

The Referee Store
Adult football , will have less people watching ....probably making it a little bit easier

Before anyone has any smart ass remarks. Let me explain.
I am 17 and referee adult football as well as youth football. Been given my first U18 game this Sunday. I just wantes to check if there were any real difference between U18 football and adult football?

Thanks in advance
Check your competition rules in case they play for a shorter period.

As a massive generalisation, from my experience U18 games (compared to grass roots OA) are :

Quicker, better supported, slightly more skilful and whilst slightly less full of dissent, once a flare up occurs it can escalate quicker because of the lack of calming, older heads on the pitch.

However, it will totally depend on the standard of the teams so my only real advice is to ensure you're fully fit in case the pace of the game is faster than you're used to

I referee across age groups and I can't see general differences between U18 and adult matches. I've had U18s behave maturely and adult teams behave like a bunch of kids then the next week it is completely the other way around. Depending upon the standard I wouldn't expect a massive difference in pace or physicality but it all comes down to the individuals involved.

the ba*****s run quicker!!

I love doing our local floodlit U'18 football, it really is a good standard of football and good experience working as a team of 3

On the speed point, always makes laugh when some "witty" spectator shouts out 'Keep up lino".

I always think if the 18/21 year olds can't out run someone giving them 35+ years, then they really shouldn't be in those sides!

Reactions: SM
Is no one coming in the aforementioned "smart arse remark?" Referenced in the OP? ;)

Back