A&H

Undershirt colour

The Referee Store
Had to look up some images. common sense here really. The lowered part of the sleeve is black. Even though laws don't specifically mention it's ok to have it as the lower part of the sleeve, it does say it ok if "or a pattern/colours which exactly replicate(s) the shirt sleeve" that good enough for me given the rest of the kit and all players match undershirt colors.

Screenshot_20201107-142558.jpg

Last edited:
I'd expect to be picked up on that at Step 5/6, how are they getting away with that at FL level?!
Was about to say, cause the bottom of the sleeve is black its fine, however after looking at the laws again that only applies to shorts.

Had to look up some images. common sense here really. The lowered part of the sleeve is black. Even though laws don't specifically mention it's ok to have it as the lower part of the sleeve, it does say it ok if "or a pattern/colours which exactly replicate(s) the shirt sleeve" that good enough for me given the rest of the kit and all players match undershirt colors.

View attachment 4660
Any observer making an issue of this, needs to get a life

Any observer making an issue of this, needs to get a life
They sent out clarification within the last two years that it was at best a minor development (unless it caused a mess up) and really is something that could be dealt with off book.
This was for observers in the National League system.

Maybe it's changed with the new scheme this year.

In the games I’m doing, I’m probably letting this go because of the black at the end of the sleeve could be interpreted as “continuing the pattern of the sleeve”. However, I’m going to write it in my game report and let the competition organizing body determine whether they want the team to wear yellow sleeves for future games. From a common sense perspective, as long as everyone is wearing black and the other team isn’t wearing black sleeves, it shouldn’t be a distraction.

You would think that at the professional/Football League level that the team would have cleared this with the league before the match.

Just got back to this and thanks for your responses.
Practically, I wouldn't bother, especially as the undershirt is black, which seems a default for most of this type of kit.
The reason it sprung to mind was because of the 'tape-colour-on-socks' issue, that was mentioned by my assessor earlier this season. That was a horrible wet day and last thing on my mind, so having being 'pulled up' on it, I read up on the LOTG - hence my surprise seeing this game.
Strange, because it involved quite a few players and I would have thought the obvious 'answer' was to have a long-sleeved version of the shirt!

I'd expect to be picked up on that at Step 5/6, how are they getting away with that at FL level?!

Because the requirements and expectations at Step 5/6 are different from Football League. To put it crassly: at 5/6, they are testing your actual knowledge of the LOTG, because they can't take it for granted that those officials know the laws; at FL level, they assume you know the Laws and want to test how you apply them.

I can't be bothered to get into it again, but as we all know things are allowed/ignored at the top levels that we aren't allowed to ignore/allow.

Dress it up as you like, but its there for all to see every week.

And, in my experience, fighting the system is a losing battle so you're better off to just accept it and find another hill to die on.

Aye, but what's the point of stating the fact? And what will it gain you--and with whom?
erm to answer the question in the op perhaps? :rolleyes:

I don't come on here to gain anything from anyone - except for advice and help - what an odd thing to say/imply.

Back