A&H

Unintended consequence of new law - FK (wall)

PinnerPaul

RefChat Addict
I've seen a few teams in the WWC now, line up 2 or 3 attackers in front of the wall, with maybe 1 player 'outside' the wall, if that makes sense.

Certainly seems to affect visibility of both the wall and gk. Can see this being used extensively in the men's game.

I bet coaches are thinking 'Why didn't we do this before?'

Seems to be potentially more effective than the now forbidden men IN the wall.

The Referee Store
Maybe walls will get smaller in the future too as attackers can’t be there now in the wall so will be inevitably elsewhere. So why would you have 4-5 defenders awaiting a shot when 4-5 attackers are eagerly waiting the chip over the wall and the free pickings elsewhere?
Just a thought!

I've seen a few teams in the WWC now, line up 2 or 3 attackers in front of the wall, with maybe 1 player 'outside' the wall, if that makes sense.
I don't think that's what is usually meant by an 'unintended consequence' - that conjures up the idea of something undesirable happening, and causing a problem because you hadn't thought through what the results of a change might be. This is just the attackers doing exactly what they're supposed to do, staying 1 metre away from the wall and avoiding the problems that used to occur. So I'd say what they're doing is actually the intended consequence of the law change .

I don't think that's what is usually meant by an 'unintended consequence' - that conjures up the idea of something undesirable happening, and causing a problem because you hadn't thought through what the results of a change might be. This is just the attackers doing exactly what they're supposed to do, staying 1 metre away from the wall and avoiding the problems that used to occur. So I'd say what they're doing is actually the intended consequence of the law change .

We certainly have a different understanding of the English language Peter - unintended consequence = undesirable? Not in my world and not what I meant at all!

We certainly have a different understanding of the English language Peter - unintended consequence = undesirable? Not in my world and not what I meant at all!

According to Wikipedia:
the law of unintended consequences has come to be used as an adage or idiomatic warning that an intervention in a complex system tends to create unanticipated and often undesirable outcomes.

Yes, I know - Wikipedia! However as always, it's a question of checking the quoted sources (never trust a statement in Wikipedia that isn't backed up by reliable sources) and there are four good references for this.

And while unintended consequences can occasionally also be beneficial, in this instance it doesn't really matter in which sense you're using it, the consequences here are not unintended. Having the opponents stand a metre away is what this law was designed to ensure.

Last edited:
Reactions: ASM
Back