A&H

Unsporting behavior?

Yes he is!
He's circumnavigating the law but the cheating shout to his team mate.... caution.
Sorry, not buying that. There is no circumventing of a law.

So if a player shouts 'John' and deliberately passes it to 'fred' is that an offence ? Or a player taking a corner shouts 'near post' and knocks it to the back stick ? Can't see it myself.

The Referee Store
Caution
Sorry, not buying that. There is no circumventing of a law.

So if a player shouts 'John' and deliberately passes it to 'fred' is that an offence ? Or a player taking a corner shouts 'near post' and knocks it to the back stick ? Can't see it myself.
Then you be wrong.
Another example would be a player shouting 'leave it!...' ........
if the ref feels he meant it in an honest manner, or if indeed the ref didnt see who shouted it.... then no caution.
if however, the ref feels it was said to deceive the opposition...... caution.

Angles and opinions mate...

Player trickery is a blur area of the laws of the game. Some scenarios are covered by the laws with the most recent one when a player
feinting to kick the ball once he has completed his run-up in a penalty kick. A lot is left to the opinion of the referee if it is considered an
act of unsporting behaviour which could change from region to region. In a very recent game Naymar tried a rainbow flick in La Liga game. This is considered very unsporting among players in Spain and it caused an uproar but a normal thing in Brazil.

For me at a restart, if all opponents think the ball is not in play then I think the ball is not in play. The opponents must be given a fair chance to challenge the ball.

A slight change of scenario in a more extreme case would be an IFK say 10 yards out directly in front. Attacker 1 is on the ball for the first touch and A2 ready for the run up to kick it. After you signal A2 point to the position of the ball and casually walks to it and adjusts its position with a small roll with his foot. No defender reacts. A1 bangs it in as A2 is walking back. This can be argued either way. A similar scenario can happen for a Penalty kick.

Play on for me, it's certainly not circumventing the laws.
If I was a defender and the other team scored from the corner, I would blame no-one except myself and my own defence for not being 'switched on'.

I was asked BEFORE a match once by a team if they could do this.

I said they could, but WITHOUT the "verbal" part.

They didn't bother in the end!

As blue 7 walks across, blue 10 says "watch the ball carefully ref". Blue 7 places ball in arc, puts foot in ball, absentmindedly rolls it out of arc

Play on - corner has been taken in accordance with Law

then yells to team mate "hey Fred, you take the corner" but obviously according to LOTG the ball is in play, although the defending team is potentially unaware of this.

I'd be stopping play as it's intended to deceive the opposition - without the shout - defenders should be coming across to close down anything - with the shout - they will think "he's not taken it yet" and won't bother to go across - thereby giving the attacker a lot more space to potentially work in unhindered.

Wouldn't even dream of cautioning though...

While I agree with this last post (though the caution is mandatory for verbal distraction ...), it will cause a massive brawl, most of the players don't even know that they're not allowed to verbally distract their opponent.
This weekend, long ball, striker is going to control it without opposition, defender standing 5m behind him tells "mine", the poor striker get out of the way just to see the defender taking the ball and even has the nerve to says "thanks", I was very close to them so heard the whole thing even though they defender said it very quietly. Blowed the whistle, two players claimed it was the first time they saw that (some would say thanks last week's ref), hopefully the captain who was also a defender said "he's right mates you can't do that" so I didn't have to explain.

Long story short, I think 100% players won't understand why we are punishing them in this situation as they don't understand it in the most obvious one

Caution

Then you be wrong.
Another example would be a player shouting 'leave it!...' ........
if the ref feels he meant it in an honest manner, or if indeed the ref didnt see who shouted it.... then no caution.
if however, the ref feels it was said to deceive the opposition...... caution.

Angles and opinions mate...
Still not for me.
The offence in shouting 'leave it' is if the opponent thinks it was said to him. Completely different from listening to something one player says to another on the same team and drawing the wrong conclusion. Otherwise where do you stop with this ? Keeper at a goal kick points to one player and passes to another. Deceiving opponent, yes. Caution ? Clearly not.

@Quarryref - you were going good guns until "listening to something one players says to another player on the same team and drawing the wrong conclusion"?

Destroyed your own argument right there mate :D

With regard to the keeper pointing The law is pretty clear that it is "verbally distracts" only. There are a couple of very specific non verbal distractions (run up feignt during penalty being one) but otherwise it is verbals only.

@Quarryref - you were going good guns until "listening to something one players says to another player on the same team and drawing the wrong conclusion"?

Destroyed your own argument right there mate :D

With regard to the keeper pointing The law is pretty clear that it is "verbally distracts" only. There are a couple of very specific non verbal distractions (run up feignt during penalty being one) but otherwise it is verbals only.
Ok. Player shouts John and kicks it to Fred knowing his opponent knows both their names, cautioning that ?

Play on - corner has been taken in accordance with Law

I'd be stopping play as it's intended to deceive the opposition - without the shout - defenders should be coming across to close down anything - with the shout - they will think "he's not taken it yet" and won't bother to go across - thereby giving the attacker a lot more space to potentially work in unhindered.

Wouldn't even dream of cautioning though...
Verbally distracting the opponent is mandatory punishment of caution...... why wouldn't you dream of it?.......

Still not for me.
The offence in shouting 'leave it' is if the opponent thinks it was said to him. Completely different from listening to something one player says to another on the same team and drawing the wrong conclusion. Otherwise where do you stop with this ? Keeper at a goal kick points to one player and passes to another. Deceiving opponent, yes. Caution ? Clearly not.

Wrong again but hey.... you stick with it mate...I'm sure you may see things differently as the years go by....
Or maybe not.....

Ok. Player shouts John and kicks it to Fred knowing his opponent knows both their names, cautioning that ?
The answer is simple...... but you are just trying to fight it, it seems.

If, in the opinion of the referee, the player purposefully verbally distracted the opposition...... its a mandatory caution. End of.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back