A&H

Ups and Downs in Football

Sheffields Finest

Maybe I'm foolish, maybe I'm blind!
Level 7 Referee
We’ve all got favoured professional teams I’m sure, I thought it would be good to separate stories from ongoing threads...

Sheffield Utd fan although I was brought up on Rugby League (Huddersfield RLFC not the newer Giants) as a child so only got the footie bug about 15..SUFC were in the old 4th division that season so I hardly followed the glory team... Saw the legendary Frank Worthington play when I was about 6 in the early 70s for Huddersfield Town, he was the poor mans George Best... many dark days as a fan, currently watching some of the best offensive football in my life, all we need is a big mobile target man to play alongside Billy Sharp and the Prem lights are in focus.

Teams I don’t like... Leeds, Millscum, West Sham and the out of towners form South Barnsley. 👍

Last edited:
The Referee Store
Brought up on rugby league (HKR) eventually falling out with it preferring union for many a year, life long Liverpool follower and Hull City supporter when I came to football when my boy started playing.
Hate Leeds following an attack by their fans on Leeds station when I was thirteen......they'd been stuffed at home by Liverpool and I was returning to Hull after watching them play at Headingly.....Yorkshire cup final if I remember correctly......they nicked my best red and white scarf and bobble hat........

Went to Wembley with Brighton in 84. And to Withdean. And now to the Amex, which is a brilliant stadium. But I was always a Liverpool fan. 1983 Brighton Liverpool 3-3 draw was a field full of my heros. I can still feel the buzz!

From the end of the 80s I lost football for 10-12 years. I blame myself for Liverpool’s demise! Then it all came flooding back with the 2001 Owen final and the majesty of Henry. Then I started playing again and organising a team, warching a lot, and foolishly waited another 12 years before the whistle.

I think I get a kick from having a tiny role in the football family. And to see Liverpool back at the Amex last season was well, choice!

Middlesbrough and only Middlesbrough. Prpud to say that without question we have one of the best chairman in the country with the club and fans at heart, not many clubs can say that!

I was there when Massimo Maccarone scored ‘that header’ v Bucharest and was also there the day our relegation confirmed season before last but through the good and bad times, I can’t fault the club!

Man City.

Was there before the money, will be there after it goes.

Seen us lose cup games at chesterfield, Oldham, bayern and Dortmund!

Followed them all over the country before I became a ref. still got my season ticket though and go when we're not playing on a Saturday and away as often as possible.

Everton season ticket holder and been going since i was about 7-8 (now early 40s)

Also a regular at local side Bootle FC (which i enjoy more than Everton currently) who are flying high in the North West Counties league.

Was banned from taking anything to do with the Ugly Sisters (cant thank my dad enough) so local team Falkirk it was, home games 86 87 when just starting high school then it became home and away.
Went on a trip to Old Trafford in 90 with the school and was dumbstruck. We met Fergie, and I told him I knew he played for Falkirk and from then on, I became dual teamed. Ended up mid 90s following Utd home, away,europe when Falkirk were not playing.
Best Falkirk players, Simon Stainrod, Kevin McAlister and Brian Rice
Utd, Eric and Scholes and Irwin

My last live Utd game was the Champ League final 99. I did not and dont want any feeling to top that.
Falkirk, last game was the Scots Cup final v ICT. My third effort at watching them in the final, three loses. Its never going to happen.

Today I look for the Utd score but dont get emotiinal either way
Falkirk,my devotion died with the old stadium, but again, I look for the result

Bristol City fan. Used to go a lot as a boy and young man, but haven’t been in years. Always first score I look for, but if I’m honest over the years I’ve fallen out of love with the professional game (but still enjoy the drama of tittle, relegation and promotion battles as the season unfolds.)

I have a work colleague who has been a regular in the Gloucester City side this season, so they’ve become my second team. I’m enjoying the “connection” with the game at this level which is lost to me at the higher levels. They’ve just appointed there third manager of the season and are now firmly in a relegation dog fight.

My Dad used to watch Newcastle one week, then Sunderland then next. Times have changed as that was commonplace yesteryear
My Grandad claimed to have walked from Bishop Auckland to watch NUFC, but i have my doubts...

Moved to Leeds 46 years ago today. Went to school in Leeds, cousins who we lived with supported Leeds, lived less than 2 miles from the ground for 5 years. First game was in January 76 and we lost to Crystal Palace in the FA Cup. Lost the following week to Norwich, left it a few weeks and went back to see them beat a very good Arsenal team. First away game was at West Brom (May 82), our last game in the old First Division before relegation.

Followed Leeds all over the country from the mid 80s - wet Tuesdays in Leicester/Preston, etc. Losing at Stoke 6-2 one season, then going back next season and losing 7-2. Enjoyed the promotion in 90, the title in 92, the European nights. Saw us relegated again in 2004 and refereeing took over. Manage on average 1 game a season now.

Been to Wembley a few times for Charity Shield, League Cup Final, Play off final, etc. I have worked less than 2 miles from the ground for 10 of the last 19 years and 4 miles from the ground for 7 of the other 9 years. Been living 7 miles from the ground for the last 17 years.

Love my club, there will only be one club ever. It says in my will that my ashes should be spread behind the goal at the Kop End.

Last edited:
Brought up on rugby league (HKR) eventually falling out with it preferring union for many a year, life long Liverpool follower and Hull City supporter when I came to football when my boy started playing.
Hate Leeds following an attack by their fans on Leeds station when I was thirteen......they'd been stuffed at home by Liverpool and I was returning to Hull after watching them play at Headingly.....Yorkshire cup final if I remember correctly......they nicked my best red and white scarf and bobble hat........
The only correlation between an 'ull team winning the Yorkshire Cup and Leeds playing Liverpool I can find is on 26/10/74.

HKR beat Wakefield Trinity and Leeds lost AT Liverpool 1-0 (hardly a stuffing).

In 1969 when you were 14, Hull beat Featherstone but Leeds drew with Liverpool in both league games.

Happy to help... oh and be like Olaf... let it go.

The only correlation between an 'ull team winning the Yorkshire Cup and Leeds playing Liverpool I can find is on 26/10/74.

HKR beat Wakefield Trinity and Leeds lost AT Liverpool 1-0 (hardly a stuffing).

In 1969 when you were 14, Hull beat Featherstone but Leeds drew with Liverpool in both league games.

Happy to help... oh and be like Olaf... let it go.
44 years of hate, never stopped believing! MOT

City fan, went to my first game 30 years ago but moved to Sheffield 2 years ago and haven't been since I moved. Been everywhere from Grimsby and Stockport away to Copenhagen and Bayern. Armchair fan these days where I just sit and admire players like Silva and KDB. I'm not fanatical like I used to be.

Played all my life until 2 years ago, took up the whistle 18 months ago. Played a bit of supply league stuff and had a good amateur 'career'. Scored the winner in county cup finals twice and in 2 different counties :)

Ran a junior team from u10-u16s after volunteering to help for a week as the manager had quit and no one else would do it and went from there.

Played cricket for the same club all my life and still do. Keen England fan and keep my eye on Derbyshire, although don't go to the games.

Sporty has been a huge part of my life. It's been what I do at weekends since I was 8.

Sheffield wednesday fan.

Was a man united fan until.around 10-11 years of age. My first game I watched wednesday beat my beloved united in the home end 3-1 with 2 goals from niclas alexandersson and wim Jonk. I got to watch my hero David Beckham that day.
My Auntie being a season ticket holder always used to take me to Hillsborough and it was a midweek game 2-0 defeat to Blackburn Rovers in what was division 1 (championship). Something that day changed my allegiance and been an owl through and through ever since. Been a season ticker holder and followed away to a fair few grounds.
Was there when we beat Sheff united 1-0 which set us on our way on a 17 game unbeaten run, over turning a 5 point gap having played 2 more games than them. Now look at where we are. Was also at Wembley losing to Hull..never been the same side since and should have cleared out and started again then.
I have given up following wednesday i.e. going to games to follow my refereeing aspirations.

Sheffield wednesday fan.

Was a man united fan until.around 10-11 years of age. My first game I watched wednesday beat my beloved united in the home end 3-1 with 2 goals from niclas alexandersson and wim Jonk. I got to watch my hero David Beckham that day.
My Auntie being a season ticket holder always used to take me to Hillsborough and it was a midweek game 2-0 defeat to Blackburn Rovers in what was division 1 (championship). Something that day changed my allegiance and been an owl through and through ever since. Been a season ticker holder and followed away to a fair few grounds.
Was there when we beat Sheff united 1-0 which set us on our way on a 17 game unbeaten run, over turning a 5 point gap having played 2 more games than them. Now look at where we are. Was also at Wembley losing to Hull..never been the same side since and should have cleared out and started again then.
I have given up following wednesday i.e. going to games to follow my refereeing aspirations.
Been to the Theatre of Rust a few times, v Newcastle in the Disaster season, our 1-3 win with Bobby Davison double, I was at your relegation game v Palace in the main stand too, also, scary day! Strangely we had a works do in Sheffield one year, terrible game 1-1, dogs, meal, nightclub. We have some blue stalwarts in our ranks...

Black and White through and through. I went to school in South Shields in the 70s so most of the kids there were Mackems but I always felt more of an affiliation with Toon - even during the bad old days in the (then) Second Division with players like Alan Shoulder, Terry Hibbit and Peter Withe.
Once the 80's came along with the likes of Keegan, Beardsley (briefly) Waddle, Wharton etc then things began to improve but having joined the Army in 1984, I rarely got to matches.
Gutted when Ashley bought the club cos I knew what he'd do - and I was right. Disappointment has become a way of life for NUFC fans but I still live in the hope that Toon will eventually lift some worthwhile silverware one day during my lifetime.

Outside of NUFC, I've always had a bit of a soft spot for the Gunners, but that's another story .... :)

Back