george.g

Level 5 Referee
Match #14
Uruguay v Korea Republic
Thursday, 24 November 2022
16:00 local time (13:00 GMT)
Al-Rayyan

Referee: Clément Turpin (FRA)

Assistant Referee 1: Nicolas Danos (FRA)
Assistant Referee 2: Cyril Gringore (FRA)
Fourth Official: István Kovács (ROU)
Reserve Assistant Referee: Vasile Marinescu (ROU)
Video Assistant Referee: Jérôme Brisard (FRA)
Assistant Video Assistant Referee: Benoît Millot (FRA)
Offside Video Assistant Referee: Djibril Camara (SEN)
Support Video Assistant Referee: Rédouane Jiyed (MAR)
Standby Assistant Video Assistant Referee: Rafael Foltyn (GER)

The Referee Store
Wonder if we will see Turpin in his usual rolled up long sleeve given the location

Edit: the answer is yes. Its roughly 28 degrees there

Last edited:
Turpin can fly. He’s outrunning some of the players on counters.

He also has such a confident presence about him. Yes, he’s not a big personality like a Lahoz or a Cakir. But you can tell he’s really assured.
Much prefer the presence he gives off as opposed to the two named arrogance.

If France don’t progress he’ll be in with a shout of the final having done the champions league final imo

I copied and pasted this from my post on the US-based forum that some of the Americans on here also frequent. :)

This is a little thing that only those of us who watch for the officials would catch, but in the 63rd minute Turpin scans the penalty area and clearly points and yells at at a player from each team starting to tussle in the area as South Korea had the ball uncontested near the corner arc. He saw that there was no pressure on the ball, and he was able to defuse a potential flash point during dynamic play. I know one of the key things those who mentor/assess me say pretty regularly is to scan the field when there's no pressure on the ball. It was a great example from Turpin to illustrate that point.

Turpin pretty much flawless, great presence on the field (or should I say not as present as others have been so far). Might be my stylistic preference, but he really didn't seem to get anything wrong. Hopefully for him, he doesn't become Kuipers 2.0 due to the success of his own country.

Turpin pretty much flawless, great presence on the field (or should I say not as present as others have been so far). Might be my stylistic preference, but he really didn't seem to get anything wrong. Hopefully for him, he doesn't become Kuipers 2.0 due to the success of his own country.
Funny you mention Kuipers. He was my favorite referee to watch prior to his retirement. His ability to always be in a great position despite seemingly never getting above a light jog and his ability to manage players with a smile was great to watch. I think Turpin has taken that new position for me now, probably along with Michael Oliver. His positioning, his calm demeanor, and his ability to see the whole field and not just focus on the ball is a masterclass for those of us at the bottom of the refereeing food chain. This game was just fantastic from him on so many levels.

Last edited:
Back