A&H

Using your yellow card without actually using it

• Thread starter Deleted member 3014
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 3014

Soz if it’s been covered already but I have a question.

Where does everyone stand on using your yellow as a deterrent or tool to get what u want or speed things up without actually using it.

I’ll give you an example, player delaying re start from throw or free kick, you keep telling them to hurry up but get nothing back, you then pull the yellow out and scream NOW or your in the book.

Anyone?

The Referee Store
Not for me. At best, gesturing towards your pocket or whatever
But card is out, forr me, its being used

You have a whistle, and a voice. Those are the tools I would use here

Not for me. At best, gesturing towards your pocket or whatever
But card is out, forr me, its being used

You have a whistle, and a voice. Those are the tools I would use here

Cool didn’t know if there was a clear do or don’t on it.

I’m sure I’ve seen an Italian get the card out before to get the desired reaction without using it.

I use my match card wedged betwen two yellow cards. It can look like at a goal, my card is being used. Well, it is, but only as something to lean on

Getting the card out is a really bad idea. People seeing it might assume that the player was cautioned even though you didn't raise it, then if he gets another caution you might have a row on your hands.

Use your voice, or even put your hand in your pocket, if he doesn't take the hint pull out the card and use it properly.

Oh no, thats horrendous?

And prob even worse, he shows no card for the dissent?

( yes despite my views on the cr7 incident)

He took it to another level didn’t he, that was red wasn’t it?

I verbally threatened it many many times but actually getting it out in advance of not using it isn't something I ever considered.

Had a lot of throw away lines so they knew exactly what was coming if they continued!! Worked most of the time!!

Certainly pretending to go to the pocket can be effective during dissent for example. Player shouting at you, grab your pocket and point to it, with something along the lines of "do you want one or not?"

I have actually used it a few times. The best one was on a serial dissenter who was on a yellow and started running to me after I awarded a penalty. He was about 5 meters away from me and I was looking at him in the eye, I looked down and put my hand in my shorts pocket. Then I looked up and saw him stop dead on his tracks and then walking backwards mumbling under his breath. I could be any more proud of myself at the time.

I have actually used it a few times. The best one was on a serial dissenter who was on a yellow and started running to me after I awarded a penalty. He was about 5 meters away from me and I was looking at him in the eye, I looked down and put my hand in my shorts pocket. Then I looked up and saw him stop dead on his tracks and then walking backwards mumbling under his breath. I could be any more proud of myself at the time.

Cool so to the pocket gesture it but don’t actually get card out.

Thanks all.

Getting the card out is a really bad idea. People seeing it might assume that the player was cautioned even though you didn't raise it, then if he gets another caution you might have a row on your hands.

Use your voice, or even put your hand in your pocket, if he doesn't take the hint pull out the card and use it properly.

There's one referee who pulls a handkerchief out; I've been with him on two occasions where a player has been yellow carded after he pulls 'his stunt', and both times the opposition thought the player had already been cautioned.

Certainly pretending to go to the pocket can be effective during dissent for example. Player shouting at you, grab your pocket and point to it, with something along the lines of "do you want one or not?"
maxresdefault.jpg
Gordon Hill 4'2" Bulldog, likes a beer..... Make a decent ref I think!!!

I would suggest that to most players, it'll look like you've been talked out of it if the card comes out but isn't shown. If you want to look like a ref that can be easily manipulated, that's a good way to do it.

I would suggest that to most players, it'll look like you've been talked out of it if the card comes out but isn't shown. If you want to look like a ref that can be easily manipulated, that's a good way to do it.
Definitely don't take the card out, just asking for confusion.

Soz if it’s been covered already but I have a question.

Where does everyone stand on using your yellow as a deterrent or tool to get what u want or speed things up without actually using it.

I’ll give you an example, player delaying re start from throw or free kick, you keep telling them to hurry up but get nothing back, you then pull the yellow out and scream NOW or your in the book.

Anyone?
Don't scream at the players. You're not their father. Be respectful.
And if you pull the card out and don't use it, easy to look indecisive or that you listened to the protests.

Starting to reach for the pocket can also have the same problem.
"you were going to book him ref!!"

Why would you bother doing this? It seems like begging for trouble with a limited chance for success.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back